Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shelves filled with Florida mysteries and novels, so when I discovered this author, Steve Forman, I was in heaven. His two novels, Boca Knights,and Boca Mourning were excellent,and, his new one coming in Dec I think..Boca Daze, is on my wish list. His main character is from my hometown Boston, so that was an extra added attraction:) Great reads.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Dave Barry's mystery, BIG TROUBLE, was set in South Florida.  I think Barry is friends with Hiassen and his writing was compared to Hiassen's when the book came out.  I think it got good reviews, though.

Normally I just read Barry for his humor, so I didn't check out his mystery.  But his humor books reference Florida as well, since he lives there.

Julia

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Jeff Lindsay's Dexter books.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love all those Dave Barry Florida books, especially BIG TROUBLE.  Barry's not much of a plot guy, but he's such a funny writer, those books are eminently readable.  When I wrote my last book, I couldn't resist setting it in Florida (and in the pirate-infested waters surrounding it).  After all, who doesn't love stories set in their home state?

I grew up in Lafayette, IN, and I remember getting a chill from a passing mention of my hometown in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.  It was the location where one of the victims was found.  Can't remember if it was a Lecter victim or a Buffalo Bill victim, but it definitely freaked me out a little.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Older books set in Florida that I enjoyed are The Yearling and Alas, Babylon.

The two books are very different, but their fictional settings are very close to each other, about an hour south of here in and near the Ocala National Forest.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Don't forget the Doc Ford series by Randy Wayne White.  The first one is Sanibel Flats.  Really good series with engaging characters and great plots.

·
Registered
262 Posts
All of the Lawrence Sanders "Archy McNally" novels were set in Florida. It was a major departure from his NY-based Ten Commandments and Deadly Sins series' in both location and tone. The McNally series was so popular that author Vincent Lardo wrote six more McNally novels after Sanders died.

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Thomas McGuane's earlier novels, "Ninety-Two in the Shade" (nominated for the National Book Award) and "Panama," are both set in Key West, Florida.

·
Registered
47 Posts
John D. MacDonald's series of mysteries featuring Travis McGee is set in Florida. And doesn't Paul Levine's Jake Lassiter series have a Florida setting as well as Ed McBain's Matthew Hope books?

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I loved Carl Hiassen's book Skinny Dip--- southern Florida is like a character itself. I also loved his Y/A book Hoot. His unique characters stay with you for a long time after you're done reading.  =)   

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rita Lakin has a senior group of sleuths in a condo complex in Lauderdale,and Frank Cerabino, has a series of condo/gated community mysteries. Nancy Cohen as a beauty salon stylist sleuth. Rick Murcer has Caribbean Moon which is set on a cruise ship...works for me, as I work for Cruisemates.com:):

I am reading Elaine Viets newest one,Pumped for Murder..this series is set in Lauderdale, in the Las Olas area... I love all the books above..I have gone into book strores in Fla, and sometimes I have more local mysteries then they do;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts