Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
docsbiz dot com

Anyone come across this scam rip-off your books site before? They have ALL my books uploaded and available for free. To make matters worse it comes up top of the Google search list for my books.

Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Turns out there is only a recent book that can be downloaded for free, which is annoying enough. My other covers they show on the same page can't be found associated with their site using Google.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just curious... did you use any third-party service in producing your books, such as the online Word-EPUB converters? I strongly (rabidly) argue against using any of these nice, convenient, free, helpful services on exactly this basis; I know too many cases where the work ends up on overseas (often Russian/old SovBloc) sites.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they actually have your books and if their registration info is legit, yes. You need to file the Canadian equivalent of a DCMA. Or maybe, since the registrar is Google, a DCMA, I don't know. You'll need to research that.

Here is their registration info: WHOIS | Lookup Domains and Check Availability - Domain.com
Thank you for the link. I have got in touch with google but have not received anything but an automated reply from them as yet. The reply recommended I get in touch with the site. That would provide the scammers another channel for them to cause me more agitation, so probably will not be following that course.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just curious... did you use any third-party service in producing your books, such as the online Word-EPUB converters? I strongly (rabidly) argue against using any of these nice, convenient, free, helpful services on exactly this basis; I know too many cases where the work ends up on overseas (often Russian/old SovBloc) sites.
No never did that. I think I am running a tight operation. Hope so. It's been up a while.

There is a file size given on the site which looks correct for an earlier version of the book. Could be someone invested in a copy to give away -- phishing whoever is silly enough to click the download button.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Some sites appear to have books but posters here on KB have stated before that some of those sites really don't have the books. They just gather people's data and credit card info.

I've seen what appears to be a few of my books listed on some legit sites (an apparently legit South African site that was linked somehow to Amazon) and a few sites that looked like pirate sites of some sort. The books of mine I saw on what appeared to be pirate sites were my worst sellers. The best books were missing.

As has been stated by some here on KB before, piracy is almost an inevitability, and not easy to stamp out. Best case scenario is you see trad publishers books on the same site and let them know about it. They've got the floors full or lawyers ready to deal with such sites.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm sure all of you have noticed the 'piracy' right on Amazon; most of my books are available from other resellers at inflated prices. I doubt anyone goes along and says, "Yeah, let's add that one!" — it's just bots, botting along. Maybe some of these third-party players are nothing else, or using the listings as phish bait.

And no, nothing much to be done about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts