Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what everyones favorite book was that also became a movie, or vice versa. If you have a favorite movie that you found out was also a book?

What was your favorite book/movie duo and why???

Also which did you enjoy more the book or the movie version?

Did the movie live up to your book standards??


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,681 Posts
My favorite book into movie...The Thornbirds. I love a great love story with a lot of tragedy and history along with it. Whenever the movie is on I watch it....also one of the few books I reread every few years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
A couple of Stephen King Novellas turned out excellently:

The Shawshank Redemption

and The Body aka Stand by Me.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
A few favorites (in some cases I prefer the literature, some the film, and some are ties)...

Edit: BTW, these are listed on the basis of being favorite films.

The English Patient - Watched the film earlier today (for about the 50th time) and it remains an all time favorite. I think the film is a splendid adaptation of Michael Ondaatje's wonderful novel.

2001: A Space Odyssey - Still my number one film of all time. Doesn't count as derived from a novel however. I forget the details but I believe the film and novel were constructed in parallel, if I recall correctly.

Blade Runner - Normally I prefer the book to the film, but in this case Ridley's Scott's visualization of the environment simply overpowers Dick's novel ( Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? )- at least in terms of my level of enjoyment. Rutger Hauer's performance doesn't hurt either in terms of elevating the film.

Black Hawk Down - Excellent novel by Mark Bowden. The accomplishment of the filmed version is its ability to communicate the chaos of the battlefield environment while remaining coherent in terms of its storytelling.

The Shawshank Redemption - Based upon the novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption in the anthology Different Seasons. Love the book by King, but the film's use of Morgan Freeman's narrative is masterful and adds an entirely new level to the film vs. the novella.

I love the film version of To Kill a Mockingbird but never having read the novel I can make no comparison.

- Walter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are such good ones!
Alot of these I didn't even know were books before the movies!

I hope more people comment with there favorites!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Some more...

Dune - I love Lynch's take on Frank Herbert's novel. Love both works but the novel is more complete and squeaks by Lynch's work in my estimation.

A Clockwork Orange - Kubrick's ability to turn Alex into a protagonist is the key to this wonderful film. Another novel I've always meant to read based on my affinity for the derived film.

The Shining - I am a huge Kubrick fan ( just listed another film :) ) but King's work is superior, IMHO. I first read The Shining mostly at night while living alone in the dead of winter in Colorado. Kind of made an impression upon me. :)

- Walter...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
WalterK said:
Some more...

Dune - I love Lynch's take on Frank Herbert's novel. Love both works but the novel is more complete and squeaks by Lynch's work in my estimation.

A Clockwork Orange - Kubrick's ability to turn Alex into a protagonist is the key to this wonderful film. Another novel I've always meant to read based on my affinity for the derived film.

The Shining - I am a huge Kubrick fan ( just listed another film :) ) but King's work is superior, IMHO. I first read The Shining mostly at night while living alone in the dead of winter in Colorado. Kind of made an impression upon me. :)

- Walter...
I was going to say The Shining also, great book. I also loved the Kubrick film but agree that the book is better. However, I think the Kubrick film is much better than the mini-series even though the mini-series was more faithful to the book.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Memoirs of a Geisha I love, love, LOVE the book, but I am so glad I saw the movie first. It really helped when I was reading about obis and kimonos and different hairstyles and makeup for different level geisha.

The Color Purple I like both. It's hard to compare the two because the book is written as letters or journal entries and the movie is the telling of all those pieces.

Both are books I loved so much I hugged them after I read the last page. I find it much harder to do that with my Ken Doll without it getting all spazzy because I hit 12 different buttons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
The Princess Bride

The movie is entirely different from the book, but it stands on its own as an excellent movie.  Reiner stayed true to the story, but eliminated the author's notes. 

On the other hand, the author's notes added a great deal to the book.

I'll second To Kill a Mockingbird.  I saw the movie first, and when I read the book, I could see Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch.  Wonderful. 

I just recently watched The Good Earth.  Not entirely faithful to the book, but a good adaptation nonetheless. 

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
Lord of the Rings.  I can't tell you how many times I have seen all 3 movies. 

Coal Miner's Daughter.  Excellent movie adapted from Loretta Lynn's memoir.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts


(no image in the kindle store)

When my husband died 10 years ago I watched this movie and for some reason, maybe it was magical enough to take me out of my reality, it made me feel better. I started watching it whenever I was down, so have seen it A LOT. :) Also whenever I hear the music used in it it makes me smile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
AnelaBelladonna said:
Lord of the Rings. I can't tell you how many times I have seen all 3 movies.
How could I forget LotR? Yes, large chunks were missing, but what Jackson kept, he didn't mess with. Every time TNT does a marathon, I pull out my DVD's and watch them straight through. One of these days, I will get the EE.

I watched the first movie, didn't understand it, and then read The Hobbit and the trilogy. I watched the movie again and was totally captivated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,391 Posts
I think the two that stand out for me both for the quality in each medium and how they moved me are Catch 22 and Slaughterhouse-Five (maybe because each has a two-word title with the second word being a number? ;) ). Each novel was written in a non-linear fashion which would seem at first blush to be very difficult to translate into a 2-hour film, yet I thought each movie adaptation was accomplished very well and in accordance with the theme and spirit of its source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
I don't know if a mini-series counts as a movie, but wow both the book and the shows are outstanding and the series is spot on with the book, not only that the soundtrack is great too.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
NogDog said:
I think the two that stand out for me both for the quality in each medium and how they moved me are Catch 22 and Slaughterhouse-Five (maybe because each has a two-word title with the second word being a number? ;) ). Each novel was written in a non-linear fashion which would seem at first blush to be very difficult to translate into a 2-hour film, yet I thought each movie adaptation was accomplished very well and in accordance with the theme and spirit of its source.
Agree with you on Catch 22, I've only read Slaugterhouse Five, didn't realize there was a movie, went to netflix and found I can watch it streaming. I'll have to watch it tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
WalterK said:
The Shawshank Redemption - Based upon the novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption in the anthology Different Seasons. Love the book by King, but the film's use of Morgan Freeman's narrative is masterful and adds an entirely new level to the film vs. the novella.
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Probably #3 behind American Beauty and Fight Club. When I had a film as lit class for a few years this was the ONLY text that I screened the film before the students started reading the text. I love the text, but agree that the narrative and voice-over in the film is masterful. I distinctly prefer that the film keeps Andy's methods unrevealed until the very end, whereas the novella has Red say in the beginning something to the effect of "this is what Andy did... now let me tell you HOW he did it." The movie expertly uses suspense to keep the viewer guessing what's going on.

louiseb said:
Practical Magic - When my husband died 10 years ago I watched this movie and for some reason, maybe it was magical enough to take me out of my reality, it made me feel better. I started watching it whenever I was down, so have seen it A LOT. :) Also whenever I hear the music used in it it makes me smile.
This book/movie made me an Alice Hoffman fan. I've picked up a few of hers since then and ALWAYS notice her new books in the bookstore (which I find myself still going to and browsing even though I have a kindle). None of them compare to Practical Magic though. Maybe it's because I was just out of high school at that time and my mom and I were recovering our relationship and bonding? Who knows... but I too ADORE the music in the movie and every time I hear it I think of the events in the film and all the emotions connected to them. Pretty cool.
 
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Top