Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love reading the last book that made you cry thread, but I've had a hard week and I would like to hear about books that made you laugh.
I'm currently reading The Hot Rock by Donald Westlake. Dry humor. Very very good.
deb

·
Registered
8,913 Posts

I've read the first two some time ago: I'm reading the third one right now....

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
This was free for quite awhile, now it is for sale for $9.99. I was laughing out loud at huge chunks of it. It is very funny.

The entry in the kid's diary when his favorite TV show was cancelled was priceless.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Leslie said:
This was free for quite awhile, now it is for sale for $9.99. I was laughing out loud at huge chunks of it. It is very funny.

ITA. DH kept looking over at me cause I kept laughing out loud. Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death (another freebie awhile back) was equally funny.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich are so funny. The biggest problem with reading them is the look you get from other people when you are laughing. Really enjoying reading them right now.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

I read "I hope they serve beer in Hell" by Tucker Max. Frankly, if you're just looking for a quick laugh, I would download the sample and be done with it. The book is not for the faint of heart (nor did I think it was for women, but since a girlfriend recommended it to me...I'm guessing she hadn't finished that one either.), but the first story is screamingly funny. It's about a breathalyzer. But the book, imo, quickly degenerates from there. Tucker is, shall we say, extremely indiscreet.

I also like "1066 and All That" by Sellar and Yeatman. It's not in Kindle format (fortunately, or I would never EVER get anything done), but here's a link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/1066-All-That-Anniversary-Methuen/dp/0413775275/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236604446&sr=8-3

It is really funny if you know something about British history. You don't have to know much, b/c this is a book that in the words of the authors, intends to comfort the reader for his lack of knowledge about history. I nearly choked in a Chili's one night reading this. Go prepared.

Also, Mark Twain is always good for a laugh, especially his short stories. I really like the ones from his time spent in Germany...because he did not speak German, and I only managed to scrounge a C out of it in high school. Also, the McWilliams stories are funny, especially the one about the membranous croup (I'm not making any of this up.), and the one where he goes to a clinic to cure what he thinks is an eating disorder.
Hope your week gets better!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Leslie said:

The entry in the kid's diary when his favorite TV show was cancelled was priceless.
I liked the chapter "If adults were subjected to the same indignities as children". - What did we learn about sharing?

Also love love love Lamb. Because of it, I've checked out some of his other books. But none have hit me like Lamb...

Now I'm going to have to cheack out the other books mentioned here (and keep up with this thread.) Good thing I just deposited my birthday $$ :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
I just finished Dog on it. GREAT book!! I hear that the name Spencer Quinn is a pen-name for an established author and I was trying to figure out if I recognized the style, but have no clue. Apparently it is a closely guarded secret. ...but I digress... the book is told from the point of view of Chet, the dog. I want a Chet after this book! I laughed so often reading it and when I wasn't laughing, I was grinning. It does have some suspense moments and a few scenes will be tough for animal lovers (you'll know them when you read them) but I LOVED THIS BOOK!!

I can also give a second recommendation to the Christopher Moore books. I've read most of his books and laughed my way through them all.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Kathy said:
The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich are so funny. The biggest problem with reading them is the look you get from other people when you are laughing. Really enjoying reading them right now.
Yep, that is my answer too. Lots of laughs from reading those books.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts