Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I bought Where Serpents Sleep, C.S. Harris' fourth mystery in the Sebastian St. Cyr series. I've been looking forward to reading it and yet I keep putting it off. You see, I normally love C.S. Harris' mysteries. But the last one I read creeped me out big time because it had some elements that almost felt horror-ish. Now I like a mystery to be deliciously creepy and even a little bloody. But I'm also a bit of a coward and that last one was almost too much for me.

Anyway, tonight I've made up my mind to finally crack the cover of this new book and find out just how strong the fear factor is. I may be sleeping with my light on afterward...

How about everyone else? Has there ever been a book you were dying to read and yet were afraid of for some reason?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I've never read any horror aside from some Stephen King. I've avoided the horror classics, including Lovecraft, but I am eager to finally try some Cthulhu mythos.

To this day I've also never seen the film Alien, but that's more due to the excruciating levels of suspense (I've tried to watch it about a half dozen times).

To be honest, I did watch Alien once, but I had the whole movie on fast forward.  ::)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't recall any books of the horror nature that disturbed me that much, but I am afraid of reading a long-awaited sequel to a novel I loved and then learning it doesn't quite live up to my expectations. That to me is the most horrifying.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I enjoy gooey, drippy, redolent, bone shivering horror.

So I don't find myself afraid to read it.

But you know what?

I've had a copy of Gravity's Rainbow lurking in the corner of my bookshelf for at least 25 years. 

I glanced at the title page, once.

Maybe I went as far as looking at the first chapter.

And back it goes on the shelf.

I try to pile other things on top of it and in front of it so I don't see it looking at me

But somehow, That spine is always there.

Exposed.

Taunting.

I think I hear it breathing.

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Colin Taber said:
To be honest, I did watch Alien once, but I had the whole movie on fast forward. ::)
:D This sounds so like something I would do. Somehow movies are less scary when they're on mute or are seen fast-forwarded.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven't met a book I'm afraid to read. Considering I'm a horror writer, that's not surprising. However, I still can't watch THE EXORCIST. Freaks me right out.

And if you have delicate sensibilities, do stay away from the movie HUMAN CENTIPEDE.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am terrified to read the Notebook. My girlfriend made me watch that movie last week and I'm still not right in the head. I have tried watching baseball, Wheeler Dealers, Transformers 2, and nothing works. All I can think about is buying my girlfriend flowers and building her a house so she will never leave me. That girl has tricked me for the last time. Wait till I make her go see Transformers 3 tomorrow night at midnight. We'll see who's laughin then...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dean Koontz had a book that was terrifying and fascinating at the same time... I remember it well, it was called Strange Highways. Anyone else read this one?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Interesting that several people mentioned Stephen King. I love his books, but had been terrified to start the 1400 page behemoth that is The Stand. I bought it paperback, then bought it again for my Kindle. I've had the DTB for 3 years and never could bring myself to start it.

I can honestly say that it's NEVER taken me so long to get through a book. This is the first one I've actually had nightmares about. I've been reading it for about 3 weeks, and am almost done. I'm enjoying the references to books I've already read, but I probably won't re-read it. It's really creeping me out. :-\

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't have any fear of reading horror stories. I've been doing so since Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark

However, what I can't seem to ever get through are books that are either historically true or based on things that really did happen, and I don't mean supernaturally, I mean things that deal with brutal human conditions, and heartbreaking life events. An example is not being able to read and finish The Known World by Edward P. Jones. It was wonderfully written but I just couldn't bear to continue.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The only books I'm afraid to read are badly written ones. As for those who've never tried reading Stephen King, he is undoubtedly the master of the genre and you should check him out, if not for the chills, then for how masterfully he develops his characters.  :)

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I WANT to be afraid of the horro novel I have bought.  To me, if it doesn't creep me out or outright scare me, the author hasn't done a good job (OK, take your shots at my own writing now, haters!).  The Shining scared me and The Exorcist had me looking over my shoulder.  I love that.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'm scared to read real war stories...I never could watch Band of Brothers with dh...just too real. That scares me. I had an uncle who was a pow who survived because the cook kept potato peels for him to eat...he came back after WWII only 85 pounds...just too sad.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Never been afraid to read certain books. Once sat down alone to watch The Exorcist and I switched it off after about three minutes and instead watched a couple of Fawlty Towers episodes. :eek:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I remember as a kid reading 'The Shining', late one night. At one point it had me so wound up, I was actually afraid to turn the page to see what would happen.

I slept with the light on that night.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts