Kindle Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Sean Thomas Fisher said:
I am terrified to read the Notebook. My girlfriend made me watch that movie last week and I'm still not right in the head. I have tried watching baseball, Wheeler Dealers, Transformers 2, and nothing works. All I can think about is buying my girlfriend flowers and building her a house so she will never leave me. That girl has tricked me for the last time. Wait till I make her go see Transformers 3 tomorrow night at midnight. We'll see who's laughin then...
Hahahaha.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Colin Taber said:
To this day I've also never seen the film Alien, but that's more due to the excruciating levels of suspense (I've tried to watch it about a half dozen times).

To be honest, I did watch Alien once, but I had the whole movie on fast forward. ::)
Hilarious! :D

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
scottsigler said:
I haven't met a book I'm afraid to read. Considering I'm a horror writer, that's not surprising. However, I still can't watch THE EXORCIST. Freaks me right out.

And if you have delicate sensibilities, do stay away from the movie HUMAN CENTIPEDE.
I watched the trailer for "Human Centipede" and almost threw up.

"The Exorcist" is scary, especially in the director's cut with the Spider Walk. I've never read the book, but am very curious.

I find that books that truly scare me are the realistic, serial killer-type stuff. Monsters don't frighten me. But a serial killer on the loose? I am afraid to turn off the light at night.

Oh, and you know what else scares me? James Joyce. No way, Jose!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I was afraid to read dramatic books a while back, ones that made you cry, etc. I finally get into them now because I actually feel right when I read them. Anyways, I'm kind of afraid to read romance books, mainly because I never find the right one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I couldn't finish Snuff, by Chuck Palahniuk. He has a knack for the truly horrible (at least in terms of gut-churning gruesomeness), and once I got 50 pages in or so, I realized I didn't actually want to know how the story ended. I mean, it's obvious how it's going to end in broad strokes (so to speak), but I don't ever want to read the details.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Growing up, I was a horror junkie. I've never been much of a fan of the gore fest stuff, but I love psychological/thriller reads. I've always had an easier time reading something scary then watching it.

That being said, I tried to watch The Shining once in college and couldn't get through it. Just those first few minutes have made me hesitant to read the book. I can't stop reading it once I start, and even if I do put the book down, the story will continue to creep into my mind for days.

·
Registered
539 Posts
CoffeeCat said:
Growing up, I was a horror junkie. I've never been much of a fan of the gore fest stuff, but I love psychological/thriller reads. I've always had an easier time reading something scary then watching it.

That being said, I tried to watch The Shining once in college and couldn't get through it. Just those first few minutes have made me hesitant to read the book. I can't stop reading it once I start, and even if I do put the book down, the story will continue to creep into my mind for days.
The book and the movie are two ENTIRELY different animals ... both are creepy, though, but I think the book was creepier.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I was a kid, I couldn't read Helter Skelter the story of the Manson Family murders.  I'm grown up now and have seen loads of carnage for myself, and somewhere along the way, I read the book.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I love Stephen King; I think he's an excellent writer. I've read a few of his books (Carrie, Firestarter) but I'm too afraid to read the rest.

One of these days, I'd also like to read Joe Konrath's books, which I know will at least be funny, but I'm afraid they will be scary too.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
9MMare said:
Interestingly, I never found King particularly horrifying. Just good stories.
I feel the same way. I never found King all that horrific, though he can be a darn fine writer. Koontz never scared me either, and he's a decent writer though I've found his work over the last couple of decades to be quite predictable. Clive Barker has shaken me up a couple of times, and Konrath did once.

The only book I'm somewhat leery of reading is the Marquis de Sade's "120 Days of Sodom," which I've had for some time but keep putting it off. It's supposed to be one of the most vile books ever written. I've read bits and pieces of it here and there, and what I've seen holds true to its reputation.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts