Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,507 Posts
Feedback: The first listing I saw under fantasy showed a book on sale from $4.99 to 99 cents. Problem is that price had last been updated at least a month ago. Other listings I saw the information had last been updated back in April. No way that's useful to anyone if a book happened to be on promo when they scrape the info from wherever they're scraping it. They need current pricing info on that site if they have any hope of readers or writers supporting it.

· Registered
2,507 Posts
SeanHinn said:
Thanks for the comment - where did you see that? I just checked the app and I only see deals from today in there. If it was on the desktop site, that could be wonky today - we're migrating the web experience to more closely align with the apps this week and we might be tied to old data during testing.
It was a link shared in a FB group that went to a desktop site.

· Registered
2,507 Posts
SeanHinn said:
We haven't sold promos yet, though, so for now, we just make everything we can find that's on sale available in the app, so folks don't have to sign up for multiple deals site emails.
I'm trying to think through how this impacts other deal sites. At least preliminarily it will boost their results because you pulling in their deals list for your site will make each of those promos look better than they would've done on their own assuming you have active users. But then if people really buy into what you're doing they will start unsubscribing from all the other list-based deal services to just use you, probably the smaller ones first. That could potentially put those smaller lists out of business. Maybe? If their lists are too small for people to want to use them. The death knell will probably come when you then set up a competing service with your own promos and thereby bury promos from other lists who have shrunk to the point that their own list doesn't justify the cost and whose own results will plummet.

Which means ultimately authors could be down to applying for a Bookbub or you and not many other choices. And there's no way for any list-based service to prevent you taking their promo lists for yourselves every day so ultimately nothing to be done to stand apart. Which means the more successful you are in your argument of one-stop-shopping for readers the more you eliminate the list-based promo market. So say two years or so from now that means authors are down to you, Bookbub (who is probably too big to do that to, but who may decide to compete with you if they feel threatened), CPC/PPC ads, and maybe one or two niche lists that somehow have subscriber loyalty...

Hm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.