Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
I haven't tried it, but recently heard a story on the radio saying that Winston Churchill drank heavily while writing brilliantly.  Whatever works I guess.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I read an interview with a well-known screenwriter - can't remember his name now - who said when he gets absolutely stuck in terms of plot he'll get a twelve pack, start drinking and write a bunch of stuff.  Then, the next day, he'll wake up and see if there's anything useful.  Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't, he said.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I used to enjoy a glass to loosen up, but I seem to have become "allergic" to most alcohol. (It's officially called "alcohol intolerance", but on my end that's just semantics—I get stuffy-nosed, sneezy, itchy-faced, and miserable. Two sips into anything, and it's like having a head cold. Talk about taking the fun out of something.)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm not a real heavy drinker to start with, a glass of wine or two is usually my sort of crazy Friday or Saturday night. But I've found that even that pretty much destroys my drive to be productive. I guess my mind thinks wine = relax, so I don't usually have anything to drink until I'm ready to be done being productive for the day.

Personally I'd prefer my success to be non-contingent on any sort of substance. But yeah, I guess whatever works. Everyone is different!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
My preferred method for writing first drafts of fiction is to go to the pub, get a few beers in, and scribble in a notebook with a cheap cartridge pen. The resulting deterioration in the standard of my handwriting means you can track my drinking across writing sessions as accurately as you can date a tree by counting rings in the bark.

I'm always surprised at the extent to which the material I produce when drunk is usable. The only times I have to start over are when I get distracted and go off on a tangent. I wake up the next morning to find I've written page after page of absolutely random junk about a minor plot point. As long as I stay broadly committed to the project I'm working on, the prose is about 80% usable, and once I've tidied it up as I type it out, it's pretty much ready to meet readers.

Half of the short stories in Something Nice, and just about all of the material in Something Nicer were written in this way.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Turning into an alcoholic is not the way to learn how to be a craftsman.  The latter takes serious commitment and dedication, and booze works against it, not with it.  There are a few writers who manage a juggling act for a while before the balls come crashing down, and then they either have to give up the booze or their talent fizzles out.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I get great ideas when I'm stoned, but sometimes have to come down a bit before I can actualy write them, so I'll take some notes. Though sometimes I can sit and pound out a chapter or two after a few hits. Not with booze though, makes me too sleepy.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Every drink reduced my I.Q. (and destroyed 2,000 brain cells), but gave me the impression I was increasingly brilliant.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Avis Black said:
Turning into an alcoholic is not the way to learn how to be a craftsman. The latter takes serious commitment and dedication, and booze works against it, not with it. There are a few writers who manage a juggling act for a while before the balls come crashing down, and then they either have to give up the booze or their talent fizzles out.
You should probably consider the idea that there's a big difference between actual alcoholism and having the odd beer/wine/brandy while creating.

·
Registered
942 Posts
The thing about alcohol is, it lowers your inhibitions. I notice when I'm drinking, whatever filter I normally have isn't there and I say whatever comes to mind--no matter how stupid it might be. The same goes for writing. Whatever first pops into my head goes on paper and it gets edited later. Sometimes it's awesome, sometimes not so much. It's not something I do all the time, but I've noticed that if I have a glass or two of wine, I'm looser and relaxed and the words just seem to flow. Of course, I only do this when writing. Drinking and editing is another thing.

Remember: Write drunk. Edit sober.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
It is a very fine line between 1 a day to needing many a day.
Please use caution if you want to try this method.
Or in plain English, don't do it every day.  Once a week would be better.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Every single person who became an alcoholic didn't start out that way, and there is no reliable mechanism for predicting who's going to become one.  Staying off the stuff is the only sensible thing to do.  If you want to earn a living for years on end doing brain work, which is exactly what writing is, you can't afford to mess around with your brain cells.  If you want to be a professional athlete, you have to keep your body in good physical shape for the task with no excuses. 

·
Registered
814 Posts
I had a writing professor in college say that writers often need to bypass their conscious brain and that's why many get their best ideas in the shower, sleeping, or by drugs/alcohol. I get my best ideas right before I fall asleep and often jump up to scribble them down or knock out a scene really quickly. Booze makes me unproductive.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I tend to get a lot of my good ideas/eureka moments after I've gone to bed, which is why my iPad lives on the stand next to me. But if I'm well and truly stuck, or having a day where I feel like everything I write is crap, I'll have a few bottles of cider while I play some Minecraft.  By the time I rage quit over creepers, I'm usually to a point where I don't care how crap my writing is, and it comes a lot easier.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
horrordude1973 said:
I get great ideas when I'm stoned, but sometimes have to come down a bit before I can actualy write them, so I'll take some notes. Though sometimes I can sit and pound out a chapter or two after a few hits. Not with booze though, makes me too sleepy.
I haven't talked to one of my oldest and best friends in months. He writes, or used to write screen plays. One day this girl convinced him he'd come up with great ideas if he loosened up and smoked some pot. Now ten years later he does nothing but sit around and take hits off his bong. He wanted me to co write something with him and every time I called to talk about the story he was too stoned to give me any input. He's all washed up at thirty-five. It's sad. I always thought pot was a mild drug, but it completely screwed him up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
To write creatively, I really need to be sober. If not, I lose a lot of motivation, and my plots really stop making sense.

I get a lot more anxious when it comes to academic papers, so sometimes I'll tip back a couple glasses of wine when I'm writing one. It helps me loosen up and not freak out about making every sentence perfect the first time around. If something doesn't make sense in retrospect, it's easier to fix than my creative writing.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts