Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
All the Borders in my area have gone out of business. Which was great to get discounted books and DVD sets, but I miss them already.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Hmm...I worry it will not help.  Then again, it always seemed like Borders was badly managed from the very top.  Maybe a new "top" (so to speak) is what it needs.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
R. Doug said:
Borders has finally found a stalking horse buyer-the latest from Publishers Weekly
Heard about that this morning. There was a Walden Books that was nearby but closed; a real bummer, as it only took about 10 minutes to get to. The Borders nearest to me is a PITA to get to, having to deal with one lane roads and a ton of traffic (I do live in NJ, so it's a daily hazard, lol). But I might return to it sometime; just don't know how much in the way of books they have in there anymore.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The Borders in my town closed down almost a year ago. Gutted. Spent many an early evening picking my way through the shelves.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Colin Taber said:
It's no longer related to the US Borders, but Borders in Australia closes its last stores at the end of the coming week.

Not only did I work for them some years back, they were also very good to me.

I will miss them :(
Every time I start to feel bad about them I just remember how RedGroup got into trouble in the first place. During the financial crisis they decided to stop paying for the stock they sold, i.e. they stole 10's of millions of dollars from writers and publishers.

I don't feel bad about them at all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's good news. I'm not sure how that would effect the British end, because the main reshuffle here took place a while ago.

All I know is that the Books etc (which Borders took over five years back) disappeared in that re-shuffle. Shame, because I recall penning a fair few chapters in their cafe. Just seemed to fit: fresh coffee and surrounded by all those books.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
tim290280 said:
Every time I start to feel bad about them I just remember how RedGroup got into trouble in the first place. During the financial crisis they decided to stop paying for the stock they sold, i.e. they stole 10's of millions of dollars from writers and publishers.

I don't feel bad about them at all.
I won't miss REDGRoup either, only a fool would. Their bad management and shortsighted decisions caused the Australian meltdown, but Borders existed before RedGroup, even in Australia.

I will miss being able to go into a store bigger than most libraries and to sit in a cafe writing while surrounded by books. I will also miss the ambience, the range and the staff.

Writing is a lonely enough job, to lose such an apprpriate venue is sad.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Colin Taber said:
I won't miss REDGRoup either, only a fool would. Their bad management and shortsighted decisions caused the Australian meltdown, but Borders existed before RedGroup, even in Australia.

I will miss being able to go into a store bigger than most libraries and to sit in a cafe writing while surrounded by books. I will also miss the ambience, the range and the staff.

Writing is a lonely enough job, to lose such an apprpriate venue is sad.
Very true. I love books, book stores, libraries, online book stores, as long as they aren't those books that smell of having been soaked in disinfectant that you get from libraries.

I'm think that we'll see smaller stores with less shelf space and more POD style ordering. Order a book and a coffee to go. Grab lunch and a book. Of course you would have one huge menu to look through. :eek:

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
tim290280 said:
Very true. I love books, book stores, libraries, online book stores, as long as they aren't those books that smell of having been soaked in disinfectant that you get from libraries.

I'm think that we'll see smaller stores with less shelf space and more POD style ordering. Order a book and a coffee to go. Grab lunch and a book. Of course you would have one huge menu to look through. :eek:
I have seen zero move towards POD style ordering in indies. For one thing, the buy-in to POD printing for an individual store is huge for a small company. Besides POD novels are more expensive per copy and don't come close to dominating the market.

The indie bookstores that are set to survive are, imo, more likely to be the Powell's and Tattered Covers of the indie world--not small, in fact, quite large with a great coffee shop and fun to shop with a huge variety of new and used books and other products.

Edit: Borders: A horrendously managed corporation that ripped of thousands of other corporations which filtered down to ripped off authors who never got paid for royalties the publishers didn't collect. Everyone does realise that, right? I hope the new owner can do better, but the last owners made such a mince of it, I'm not hopeful.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My town has one of the Borders stores that didn't close; I hope this is good news for them.  But I must confess that I rarely go there, because they have terrible parking and I am, I confess, super lazy (or often in too much of a hurry to drive around looking for a spot).

But yes, admittedly lazy.  And Kindle merely enables my laziness.  :)

Julia

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
JRTomlin said:
I have seen zero move towards POD style ordering in indies. For one thing, the buy-in to POD printing for an individual store is huge for a small company. Besides POD novels are more expensive per copy and don't come close to dominating the market.

The indie bookstores that are set to survive are, imo, more likely to be the Powell's and Tattered Covers of the indie world--not small, in fact, quite large with a great coffee shop and fun to shop with a huge variety of new and used books and other products.

Edit: Borders: A horrendously managed corporation that ripped of thousands of other corporations which filtered down to ripped off authors who never got paid for royalties the publishers didn't collect. Everyone does realise that, right? I hope the new owner can do better, but the last owners made such a mince of it, I'm not hopeful.
Very true. But I think the real difference is that the store would be buying a book to sell rather than ordering a book to sell, that's why they are balking. I've lost the economics report on POD costs for ordering, but I do remember that it wasn't worth it for orders over ~500 copies. So for midlist stock this ends up cheaper for an individual store. This is of course assuming that stores want to have a wider range of books. ::)

The POD machine in my link is a new piece of tech that will be more and more affordable in the near future. That's why I think there will be a move in this direction in the future. Although, as you point out, I'm assuming that POD will become cheaper.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts