Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used K1. The original owner de-registered, but he had some nice books on it and said I was welcome to read them. Will these be erased when I register?

Thanks in advance...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
Speaking from experienc.... The books stay when you register. If you delete them you won't get them back. But those books are tied to that kindle. Amazon could change this but as of now you won't lose them.

There's a thread on the tips board titled I discover this by accident (or something along those lines). You can see how it's worked for me. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, everyone. I don't really want to steal these books, but I thought i might read them and some say registering will erase them.

If I try it I'll report back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,324 Posts
Can they be transferred to a computer and then back?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
luvmy4brats said:
In my experience, yes. You just can't move them from one Kindle to computer to another Kindle. The book is tied to that particular Kindle.
I thought the books were tied to the person's account?

I guess I'll try to copy them first, then register and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
luvmy4brats said:
There's a thread on the tips board titled I discover this by accident (or something along those lines). You can see how it's worked for me.
Could you point me to that thread? I searched but couldn't find it - thanks?
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Speaking from experience.... The books stay when you register. If you delete them you won't get them back. But those books are tied to that kindle. Amazon could change this but as of now you won't lose them.
This is correct. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
skanter said:
I thought the books were tied to the person's account?
Most people think the same thing However, a book is tied to a particular Kindle. This is why you must specify which Kindle you want to download the book to. I can't download a book to my daughter's Kindle and just transfer it to mine, even though we are on the same account.

Please try, and report back...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,163 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I can't download a book to my daughter's Kindle and just transfer it to mine, even though we are on the same account.

Please try, and report back...
This sharing of an account confuses me more than anything else about my KK and hubby's K2. I thought if both Ks were on the same account it could be downloaded to both regardless of which one purchased it. If I was able to load books I had purchased on my K1 to his K2 from the archives, why wouldn't I be able to purchase a new book to download to his Kindle and then also mine?
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
*sigh*
If you buy a book via your PC, you can CHOOSE which Kindle you want to send it to.  There is a drop-down menu letting you select.  You can then go to your archives and send it to the other Kindle too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,163 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
*sigh*
If you buy a book via your PC, you can CHOOSE which Kindle you want to send it to. There is a drop-down menu letting you select. You can then go to your archives and send it to the other Kindle too.
Sorry to make you sigh BJ! I understand choosing which K to send a book to, I was confused when Luv said she couldn't download it to her daughter's K and then transfer it to hers even though they are on the same account.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
crebel said:
Sorry to make you sigh BJ! I understand choosing which K to send a book to, I was confused when Luv said she couldn't download it to her daughter's K and then transfer it to hers even though they are on the same account.
You can't transfer a book between Kindles..

I can download a book to each of our Kindles, but I can not take a book that is on her Kindle, transfer it to my computer and then move it to my Kindle. It doesn't work that way. I must download the book from Amazon to my Kindle. (I don't pay for it again though...I just have it sent from my Media Library to my Kindle.

The books are tied to a particular Kindle not an account.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,163 Posts
Thanks Luv - I got caught not differentiating between the terms download and transfer.  I will go back to lurking now rather than asking silly questions.l
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
luvmy4brats said:
No questions are silly. This one is confusing to many people and there is a lot of misinformation out there. I'm doing my best to help people understand :)
...and it is very much appreciated! :)

So, to the best of your knowledge, when I register the used kindle I just bought, the books from the previous owner will remain on my Kindle - right?
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top