Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on the Amazon boards.....people suggesting we boycott books over $9.99 because Amazon advertises that they are under that. I personally am NOT boycotting the books over $9.99, but would like to know the members opinions here on this board.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
A formal boycott, no. But I can't see myself paying more than $9.99 unless it's a bundle with several books.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
CS said:
A formal boycott, no. But I can't see myself paying more than $9.99 unless it's a bundle with several books.
Ditto. I didn't pay that much for books pre-k (except for a select few hardbacks), and I'm not about to start, now.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I don't see a formal boycott. I also don't believe that Amazon ever said all books would be under $9.99. I usually pay under $6.00 but if I saw something I had to have I would pay the going rate.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I went through that thread counting one day...There are 37 discrete people who are entirely too worked up about this topic that I have now added to my Amazon "ignore" list. The thread is the reason I rarely go to Amazon anymore.

I buy books the day they are released. I often pay more than $9.99. I hope the author gets some and I hope Amazon gets some and I hope the publishers get some.

There are already two websites and about 75 threads devoted to this...can we just leave it alone? Please?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
intinst said:
I don't see a formal boycott. I also don't believe that Amazon ever said all books would be under $9.99. I usually pay under $6.00 but if I saw something I had to have I would pay the going rate.
Same here. I feel like I'm saving money on the price of books overall with the Kindle. I usually bought the hardback of Nora Roberts or J. D. Robb and they cost $25. If I have to pay $11 or $12, I still feel like I'm getting a bargain. I've only paid over the $9.99 once. Most of the books I have bought have been under $9.99.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As a general guideline, I try to stay under $10.00, but if I really want the title, I won't let price stop me.  Having said that, I can't recall a specific instance of paying more than $9.99 to date.  (There are certainly authors whose works transcend bargain pricing.  There are still limits of course, but the limits are higher. :) )

- Walter...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
First and foremost Amazon does not say books are $9.99 or less. They say bestsellers are mostly $9.99 or less unless otherwise marked. The frenzied folks on Amazon need to calm significantly and get back on their meds. My personal pricepoint for Kindle books is generally $4 which is the pricepoint for relatively recent used paperbacks. There is so much available worth reading I see little need to buy anything before it becomes available as a used paperback. That said, there are a very few things I'd buy as new paperbacks for $6.50 or so, the discount price of paperbacks at big box stores. It's up to everyone to set their own pricepoint and act accordingly. Those results will become a "boycott" for anything outside that range. We can only hope the meds kick in soon and if peace isn't restored it's at least more pronounced on Amazon.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
No plans to boycott, no.

I like 9.99 as a guideline, but it's not set in stone. When I see a book is more, I ask myself if it's worth it. If it's not worth it, I wait. I don't tell other people they shouldn't buy it, because that's none of my business.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'll pay the same or even more for Kindle books that I would for the paperback or hardcover. I don't want to but the convenience of having the automatic download and the lightening of my commute bag was the reason I bought Kindle, not cheap books. I want authors to be well compensated and I want Kindle to be profitable enough for Amazon that it continues to be well supported and that publishers see the value in releasing Kindle versions.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
MichelleR said:
No plans to boycott, no.

I like 9.99 as a guideline, but it's not set in stone. When I see a book is more, I ask myself if it's worth it. If it's not worth it, I wait. I don't tell other people they shouldn't buy it, because that's none of my business.
This sums up my thinking perfectly. I certainly prefer to pay less, but I'm not going to get worked up over it; I understand the supply chain and where Amazon fits versus the publishing industry I also understand retail at its finest--the prices will go down as market share goes up. Early adopters pay more. C'est la vie--I didn't get a Kindle under the delusion I was going to save money.

Gotta love the fact that there's a whopping 37 of them squawking when all is said & done. I'm sure that will make an impact on Amazon's bottom line. ::)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My own personal rule seems to be no more than $9.99 unless it is something that I feel is really worth it, but I can't tell others what to do, nor will I.

I do find the "chart" that someone created on that thread at Amazon.com interesting.  It shows the percentage of books over $9.99.  It did a major jump from about 29% to 33% in one day (I think).  It has stayed at that percentage for a while now, however.  I realize that the chart fails to take into account many, many aspects of pricing and books, but it's still interesting to see all the same.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I will pay $9.99 but nothing over that. It's not to boycott Amazon it's just my personal thing. I hope the price drops on this book as I won't pay the $13.80.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I just have to echo what others have said. I prefer to pay less than $9.99 but its not set in stone. I also don't care about release dates (well, except for Harry Potter). I can wait and hope the price drops.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
mom133d said:
I also don't care about release dates (well, except for Harry Potter). I can wait and hope the price drops.
Disclaimer:
This is a general observation. The above quote was drawn only from proximity and convenience. No persons living or dead were specifically implied in this reply. Any similarity to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

To each their own obviously but I've never understood this. If reading was a huge passion (and I know it is for many of us) and there was only one new book annually and it meant waiting at least one more year before a price drop I'd totally get it. With so many millions of books to choose from and the majority of those available at reasonable prices I don't get paying big prices vs. reading some of the other thousands of books one would enjoy until the price comes down.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
LDB, exactly. And its not just books that I wait on. Movies cost too much so 98% of the time I wait for the DVD. And then it goes in my Netflix cue, I don't need it the day it comes out either. The other 2% (and any music I purchase) might be on or near release date just because I don't want to forget that its available.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
There are so many good books on my TBR list that are less than 9.99 that I also wait. I've had my Kindle for 6 months and have not had a lack of reading material, I have more books than time, guess that's a good thing. If I had to wait a year for a book and that was the only book available I would pay the price. Sure am glad it doesn't work that way! :) Hubby and I wait on DVD also, we go to maybe 2 movies a year.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts