Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of blaming Romance Writers for the social ills of the world, I think the boys and girls here need to be very instructional in their writing.

After all, our novels might be read by folks who played hookey from the all important sex education class. (Gosh, don't they talk about anything important on the playground anymore).

Let's help them out by pausing every now then as we weave our plots and have the character say:

"Wait! If we're going to do what I think we're going to do, we need some protection!"

"Yeah, that's right," the other person says.

They turn the lights down and adjust the volumn of the soft music while someone fumbles in a pocket, or a purse, and a bedside table drawer.

"Found it!"

Good. Hurry up!"

A couple of paragraphs should follow here to assure our readers that everything will be OK.

While we're at it, we should assure our readers that our characters stay healthy by taking a . . . at least once a day. Is it best to do this before searching for a necessary item? Or after? Or can this required healthy act be inserted any where in the story?

There are a lot of things to consider in crafting a story that will not only be entertaining, but instructive.

·
Registered
995 Posts
"I love you so much," said Jim.

"Prove it," said Mary, and she pulled him closer, closer than he'd ever been to a woman before.

"Oh, I will," said Jim in a low whisper. "But first, have you heard about Trojan's* new line of protection solutions? You'll swear I was wearing nothing at all, and they offer the same level of safety as before!"

*Author's note: Cha-ching!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Okey Dokey said:
Instead of blaming Romance Writers for the social ills of the world, I think the boys and girls here need to be very instructional in their writing.

After all, our novels might be read by folks who played hookey from the all important sex education class. (Gosh, don't they talk about anything important on the playground anymore).

Let's help them out by pausing every now then as we weave our plots and have the character say:

"Wait! If we're going to do what I think we're going to do, we need some protection!"

"Yeah, that's right," the other person says.

They turn the lights down and adjust the volumn of the soft music while someone fumbles in a pocket, or a purse, and a bedside table drawer.

"Found it!"

Good. Hurry up!"

A couple of paragraphs should follow here to assure our readers that everything will be OK.

While we're at it, we should assure our readers that our characters stay healthy by taking a . . . at least once a day. Is it best to do this before searching for a necessary item? Or after? Or can this required healthy act be inserted any where in the story?

There are a lot of things to consider in crafting a story that will not only be entertaining, but instructive.
Not me guv, I've never laid a finger on any romance writer, with or without condoms, let alone blaming them for all the social ills of the world. We have organised religion to blame for that.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I'd like to know what their excuse is for the majority of pregnant individuals who don't read. When I was in high school, the pregnant girls weren't exactly spending their time reading romance novels, and I never saw a boy with a book in their hands.

Should paperback/hardback books now come with LED covers that occasionally flash sex ed lessons and contraceptive ads?  :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
EntangledLewis said:
Product placement in novels--with e-books you could have interactive ads.
Yes indeed.

Rohypnol, the perfect answer to your protection worries. Available at all leading dodgy chemists. She won't mind if you didn't bring protection. And it never splits on you :p

Maybe not, eh?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Condoms? That's like taking a shower with a raincoat on. No self-respecting Private Eye in the 1960s or earlier would have touched one of those suckers.

·
Registered
399 Posts
RonnellDPorter said:
I'd like to know what their excuse is for the majority of pregnant individuals who don't read. When I was in high school, the pregnant girls weren't exactly spending their time reading romance novels, and I never saw a boy with a book in their hands.

Should paperback/hardback books now come with LED covers that occasionally flash sex ed lessons and contraceptive ads? :)
True. Promiscuous teens don't read much. They found something a lot more fun (and dangerous) to do. Another reason to encourage the youth of the world to read. It'll lower the birth rate.

Man, I love it when I solve all of the worlds problem in 140 characters or less. I really should tweet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts