Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Best show out there right now!  Love, love, love it!  Got a bunch of my friends hooked on it recently.  :)  Just outstanding writing, acting etc.

Looking forward to tonight's episode.  Just re-watched "Box Cutter."  What an intense moment on that one in the lab... Gus scares me.  :eek:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree 100%, Breaking Bad is the best show out there.  Box Cutter was another fabulous episode to an already top-notch show.  The scene with Gus was very intense and I'm surprised how much this show can get away with not being on HBO or Showtime.  I'd even say the stuff we've seen in Breaking Bad is more graphic than what Showtime or HBO have shown in their series.  (Like what Gus does with the box cutter in this episode, the guy's head getting crush by that vending machine (LOL) in another, Walt taking out those 2 dealers at the end of last season, etc.... And who could forget the incident in Season 1 where Jesse didn't follow Walt's instructions with the body in the tub...  :eek: )
What did you think of the latest episode?
Did you catch the subtle 'pizza not being cut' gag that was put in to address the fans' wondering why the pizza Walt threw on top of the roof wasn't in pieces, LOL. 
Also, the cinematography is amazing, along with the writing, acting, and everything else.  Sad though that the awards shows only honor the acting and none of the other categories for this series.  What's up with that?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, no other fans of this awesome series?  That's sad.
Oh, well... Michael, what do you think of the new season so far? 

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
*putting my hand up so firmly I might have dislocated my shoulder*

Best thing on TV right now, and the most underappreciated.  I came close to hyperventilating at the end of Half-Measures, I had to have a sit-down and a cup of tea just to recover.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One of the best shows of the last decade. Up there with The Wire and The Sopranos. Bafflingly, it always seems to get dumped in some graveyard slot on minor channels in the UK

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I loved the second episode of this season.  A lot of tense moments.  The ending with Jesse was heartbreaking.

Was surprised to see Walt approach Mike, even though what he said made sense.  Boy... did that not go the way he was hoping for!

My favorite line:  "Walter, you're never gonna see him again."

Interesting bit about the pizza.  Didn't catch that one!  :)

My mom just finished the second season and loves it.  Think she's going to start season 3 sometime today (she's DVRing the new season).

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm hoping for/expecting an eventual Walt-Mike-Jesse team-up to take Gus down, placing 'Heisenberg' at the top of the drugs game.  We already know Mike is a total badass, and if given the proper motivation (say, for example, just off the top of my head, his beloved granddaughter was threatened) (or, since this IS Breaking Bad, worse) I think he'd go against Gus in an instant.  Actually, judging from some subtle little moments, I feel that Gus is already holding Mike's granddaughter over him--absolute loyalty or Bad Things will happen to her.  This would explain Mike's over the top response to Walt's proposition--it was a public place and who knows what kind of informants Gus has, so he had to make it absolutely clear that he's not even considering betrayal.  I think, though, that the idea of taking Gus down does hold some appeal to him--and remember his story, "No half-measures".  It's all or nothing, and he's going to pick his moment very carefully.

Anyway, I guess we just have to wait and see :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike's "no more half-measures" monologue last season was one of the most chilling, effective, and powerfully memorable monologues I've seen in a TV series (that includes The Sopranos, The Wire, etc.).  I agree that his beat-down on Walt last ep after being approached was to make sure any tails Gus might be keeping on Mike would not think he was plotting with Walt to take Gus down.  I doubt Mike would tell Gus what Walt's intentions are.  (BTW: Can anyone tell me whose voice it was that told Walt over the phone outside Gus's house to just go home -- was it Mike? I didn't get a good listen at that part.)  I also agree that Gus must be holding something bad over Mike to keep him in check.  But something's definitely going to happen, as Mike was visibly shaken and I think even scared himself when Gus killed Victor so brutally and suddenly.  If there was a Mike-Walt-Jesse coalition to take down Gus, something tells me Mike wouldn't be so quick to let "Heisenberg" be the new boss of his -- maybe Mike would want to the new Number One...?
What do you guys make of the color symbolism we've seen throughout the entire series so far?  Do you like it, are indifferent to it, or do you think it is inconsistent, or pretentious?  I for one like what they're going for, along with their style of cinematography in general, which is very innovative for TV.

Great discussions so far!  This makes watching the show even more fun.  8)

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Just watched the second episode and I feel so bad for Jesse.  It's painful to watch him mess up over and over again.

What I really love about the series are the "OH HECK YEAH!" moments when Walt does something brilliant and MacGyver-y.  I hope we get one of those soon.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Breaking Bad is one of the best shows on TV right now. I never expeted Bryon Cranston to be a serious actor after Malcolm in the Middle, but oh man was I glad they went with him. He seems to get crazier every episode.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
One thing in particular I like about the colour symbolism is how Walt seems to be getting bluer and bluer as the series progresses, and Jesse is getting blacker and blacker. I think sometimes it borders on pretentious, but overall it's done well and isn't overplayed.

About Mike, the overwhelming feeling I get from his character is that he's tired, sick of the whole game. The only thing he seems to react genuinely positively towards is children, everything else is just business. I think his driving motivation is keeping himself and his family safe and comfortable, all else is secondary.

Half-measures speech, just because:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
dalyamoon said:
Just watched the second episode and I feel so bad for Jesse. It's painful to watch him mess up over and over again.
Aaron Paul is oustanding during his "quiet" moments and showing you what's really going on in Jesse's head. That final scene in last week's episode is heart-breaking, and it's all done simply by an expression on his face.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I hear Walt is supposed to become a hated character. So I can totally see him taking out Gus with no remorse. We'll see though. This season is looking pretty good.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
So far, I think the show has done an excellent job of portraying Walt as a flawed but sympathetic character sinking deeper and deeper into criminality.  I'm not sure if I'm going to hate him by the series end, but I can certainly see myself becoming more and more repulsed by his actions and decisions.  Walt's 'sin' is pride, which I can certainly relate to, but how far he'll go remains to be seen.  One thing's for sure, I'm sticking around to find out :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
It makes me wonder if he has a new motive now. Yeah he wants to support his family, but it seems as if he wants to become some all powerful player in the drug game. I think he wants to take over for Gus.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts