Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yikes! Will they discontinue the 'Free' tier...we'll have to wait and see. Article here

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
That and they'll make the subscriptions more expensive but for fewer contacts. They'll need to recoup some of that cash on hand they paid out. :rolleyes: :mad:

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Never used Mailchimp, barely aware of what it does, as I've only seen it mentioned here on KB. Is it truly a $12 billion business?

·
Registered
312 Posts
MC once worked well for gathering followers-members for the mailing list. It began condensing itself a few years ago best I can tell. Then made the 'free part' less versatile and the 'paid part; more expensive. Now, after a couple years away from it, I just went back and looked and cannot create as interesting and diverse displays for the mailout as in the past unless I join the paid part.

As with any buyout, prices generally go up to recoup costs and generate profits. So, I'd image it will happen with MC/Intuit here, and so will begin looking for other avenues. my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Why should any mailing list service offer a feature rich free tier?

Even back in 2015, MC didn't offer automation with free accounts. Why should they? They're a business. They need to make money.

I like MC, overall, but it certainly has room for improvement. Their new layout design is horrible (you can still copy old emails/ use old templates though). I certainly wouldn't recommend MC to new users. The cost & UI is not the best. But they still have better deliverability than most of their similarly priced / similarly user friend competitors AFAIK.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I moved over to Mailerlite a few years ago. It is so much easier to use than Mailchimp and I have no regrets. David Gaughran had wondered if all the changes MC was making from a few years ago was in preparation for a sale. It appears he was right.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Why should any mailing list service offer a feature rich free tier?

Even back in 2015, MC didn't offer automation with free accounts. Why should they? They're a business. They need to make money.

I like MC, overall, but it certainly has room for improvement. Their new layout design is horrible (you can still copy old emails/ use old templates though). I certainly wouldn't recommend MC to new users. The cost & UI is not the best. But they still have better deliverability than most of their similarly priced / similarly user friend competitors AFAIK.
I agree Crystal, but if a service offers free, it's on them not on me to ask "Please charge me" ... what annoys me is when a 'free method' tells me it's free until you have 2000 mailouts - well, I don't in this newsletter. I have a very focused audience and will probably never get to 2000 ... But, I got into it from the beginning for that very reason - free to 2000. If I need more, I'll pay for it - as I do for other services that work in a way that benefit me. I'm not publishing to make them money, I'm publishing to gain me readers and buyers.

And, I need none of the services from MC that it offers for the upgrades- it's only the ability to model a specific page a specific way that enticed me to begin with - MC took it away ... and I do not use or need automation. So, will look elsewhere, Free or Pay doesn't matter as long as it offers what I need, not what it needs.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I agree Crystal, but if a service offers free, it's on them not on me to ask "Please charge me" ... what annoys me is when a 'free method' tells me it's free until you have 2000 mailouts - well, I don't in this newsletter. I have a very focused audience and will probably never get to 2000 ... But, I got into it from the beginning for that very reason - free to 2000. If I need more, I'll pay for it - as I do for other services that work in a way that benefit me. I'm not publishing to make them money, I'm publishing to gain me readers and buyers.

And, I need none of the services from MC that it offers for the upgrades- it's only the ability to model a specific page a specific way that enticed me to begin with - MC took it away ... and I do not use or need automation. So, will look elsewhere, Free or Pay doesn't matter as long as it offers what I need, not what it needs.
Can you not copy your old emails?

The new layout system is pretty terrible on MC. But any software or subscription you use is going to change. The new MC pricing is outrageous (IMO) but the pricing on the older plan I have isn't terrible. It's probably comparable to ML's current pricing.

ML is probably better from a UI & pricing standpoint, but AFAIK it has worse deliverability (and it had that issue where it turned off automations).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Can you not copy your old emails?

The new layout system is pretty terrible on MC. But any software or subscription you use is going to change. The new MC pricing is outrageous (IMO) but the pricing on the older plan I have isn't terrible. It's probably comparable to ML's current pricing.

ML is probably better from a UI & pricing standpoint, but AFAIK it has worse deliverability (and it had that issue where it turned off automations).
Sure Crystal, I keep a copy separate - so if MC disappears, I don't lose the list. I'll start looking around for one that suits what I need more closely. A pay one is fine, long as it does what I want. On MC, I was set up to just copy in the info and art each time - and send it off. A version of that specific format page is now in the pay section, and not exactly the same that I can find. No big deal, adaptation prevails in anything electronic today, especially Soc Media. :)

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Oh, no, I mean, copy your "campaigns" in MC?

I basically do that for all my emails because it's faster (and their new system sucks). I do have a $300/month plan though. I have about 30k subscribers between my lists (organic, giveaway, arc, French) (which really is not as useful as it sounds. I think my list was better a few years ago when it was 5k subscribers).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Not sure what you mean? I always send myself each campaign - so have a copy of those too. But every one is different - my campaigns are not only about my fiction, that's just one segment of each NL. It's complicated :) but basically simple - the information and art is always new, and a different novel cycles thru each time the newsletter goes out.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
You can copy the campaign in MC (it might say duplicate) and then edit the new campaign so the formatting is the same.

·
Registered
238 Posts
With the advent of free newsletter services like Substack, I can't see the old expensive mass email companies continuing to thrive as they have in the past.

When people figure out they can send unlimited newsletters for free and also have paid subscribers for bonus content, essentially combining Patreon and Mailchimp in one service, they may be tempted to switch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts