Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do fairly well in U.S. sales. I'm starting to sneak through in U.K. sales. Until now, though, I've be shut out in German sales. But I just looked and found my first four sales in Germany. One sale each of Hot Type, Round Robin, The Concrete Inquisition and The Next President. One buyer for all four books or four buyers purchasing one each? Either way, I hope the books are well received and widely discussed.

My wife went to art school in Berlin and enjoyed Oktoberfest in Munich. German sales start building, I'll have to visit for myself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congratulations on the breakthrough! Do you have an idea what it caused the change? Have you done any marketing in either the UK or Germany, or is it just spontaneous sales?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
k.m: My wife and I have a friend who comes from England. She said she'd pass the word about my books to her friends over there. I have no idea how the sales in Germany came through; I just hope they keep coming.

Back in my heritage publishing days, I'd hear from readers as far away as Guam and Israel. I never knew how my books reached those readers either.

I think it's safe to say, especially with e-books, that an author's work gets around far more than he/she does.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Congratulations on the sales, let's hope it continues for you and everybody.  It is interesting how our voices can reach around the world in this manner.

Martin

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
That's great. Congrats to you!  I don't think it is easy getting sales in Germany, so that is a great accomplishment.  :)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Joe, had the same experience this month for the first time.  One each of the three Pug Connor novels.  No marketing (maybe Twitter?) and suddenly they appeared.  All in one day, so I am assuming one person purchased the series all at once.  I had them at .99 each for a time, so I earned a vast 1.00.  Hope the German tax man doesn't give me a call through their New Zealand Embassy.

Gordon Ryan

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If taxes ever get too onerous, a writer, at least those of us with Irish ancestry, can move to Ireland. They don't tax their writers and artists at all.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I think making the first inroad in any market is the most important. If you believe in your work, you feel optimistic it can connect with a reader and word of mouth — or word of mouse — can take things from there.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah. That's one of those turns of phrase any of us wishes we'd come up with; thing is I don't know who actually did. My guess is someone in Silicon Valley or a really smart ad agency.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Good job!  Do you have to make separate Amazon author pages for UK and Deutschland?  If so, how does one go about it?  I haven't seen a link that goes beyond the US Amazon for author pages.

Julia

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did create an author's page for the U.K. but not Germany. I just muddled around on the U.K. site until I found what I needed and followed instructions. Not having been to the German site, I don't know if they have instructions in English.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Joseph Flynn said:
I did create an author's page for the U.K. but not Germany. I just muddled around on the U.K. site until I found what I needed and followed instructions. Not having been to the German site, I don't know if they have instructions in English.
Just put the Amazon page through Google translate and it's easy to set up your bio etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts