Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,  when I ordered K2, I gave K1 to my 67 yr old mother.  She is not in a whispernet zone so she has to download manually and she isn't all that savvy/comfortable with using the PC but she is doing pretty good so far.  She loves British mysteries and authors like Elizabeth George.  I was hoping my KB friends could perhaps give some author recommendations that are on Kindle to help her find material?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here are a few to get Mom started:

The Masters:
Wilkie Collins
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Agatha Christie
G. K. Chesterton
Dorothy Sayers

More recent:
P. D. James
M. C Beaton
Ruth Rendell
Robert Barnard
Anne Perry
and of course, Elizabeth George!

Not on Kindle yet, but we can hope;
Caroline Graham (I wish!)

American, not British;
Mary Roberts Rinehart

and set in Paris, not Britain, but very good, anything by:
Georges Simenon (Inspector Maigret)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Charles Finch. A Beautiful Blue Death and The September Society. They are the first and second in what I hope will be a series. Both of them are available for Kindle.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
A couple more really good authors are: Christopher Fowler and Morag Joss. Both authors could be read as stand alone books, but they do reference previous books. ;D

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I'm not sure if The Tea Rose would classify as British mystery, but it is a very good book.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Also
Martha Grimes

good luck to Mom, 67 is NOT that old to learn computers  ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wish my 69 year old mother would want a Kindle.  I am dying to share books with her, but she took one look at mine and said "I don't want to read on a computer".  Maybe when I go see her this weekend I'll convince her to try at least ONE CHAPTER of a book! 

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks SO MUCH for all the suggestions!!  I'm making a list for my mother.

....and didir1010 - believe me - it took some coaxing but once she had it and was able to read with it, BOOM - she loved it.  She has bad arthritis and has to wear a wrist brace to hold her book to read.  I'm hoping the Kindle might be able to let her read without the cumbersome brace. 

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks Kirstin... I'm definitely going to work on Mom this weekend!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I thought I had posted about this, but maybe not, so: You might want to sample my well-reviewed mystery "Assignment in Antibua." Several of the characters hail from Britain, and it is set in a Brit-connected land.

Here's the link if you would like to look:

Thanks!

Sig

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ha ha, when I first read the post I immediately thought of Elizabeth George! I didn't realize that there were so many others. I can't wait to search for their books!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts