Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
thats great news, fabulous.. i am still waiting, but mine has only been listed for 5 days, so i need to be a little more patient. well done you i hope there are many more x

·
Registered
782 Posts
dgaughran said:
I finally got my first one on Saturday.

Although, I wasn't worked up about it.

After all, what's the wurst that could happen?
Did y'all have other authors go there and tag your books? Still waiting for mine, even though I tagged them all in German, thinking that would help. :'(

·
Registered
782 Posts
dgaughran said:
I just tagged them myself in German (which was fun - good ol Google translate).
No, I meant did you have other authors go there and tag them for you? The more folks tag your books, the higher in you'll go in the search, is how I understand it.

I tagged mine in German since I am German, but I haven't asked anyone else to go there and do a tagging exchange.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i considered having the books translated properly into German for the DE, is this worth doing?

·
Registered
782 Posts
CatherineIsom said:
i considered having the books translated properly into German for the DE, is this worth doing?
TBH, I think the platform is too new to tell. But I'd be interested in hearing other's ideas for it. I've translated legal documents before, but don't know if I'd want to tackle my own fiction. What I've heard from natives is that they have a very fine grasp of the English language, so, from the limited amount I've heard, there really is no need.

But, I want to hear others' opinions about that.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
A lot of Germans like to read English books.

On the other hand, a lot don't speak English well enough.

Personally, I think the market is too small to justify the expense. E-books are at only 5% of the market. It's like the US nearly 2 years ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
CatherineIsom said:
I have traveled in SE Asia for the past 5 months and met Germans (the most nationalities I've met) -- they have Lonely Planet in German but the rest of the books are in English. Didn't see any Kindles.

·
Registered
782 Posts
J.D. Pasco said:
I have traveled in SE Asia for the past 5 months and met Germans (the most nationalities I've met) -- they have Lonely Planet in German but the rest of the books are in English. Didn't see any Kindles.
Well, they just now hit the market in the UK over Christmas, so I'm sure it will take a little more time to filter through to Germany and other outlying areas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah. Germany would really be a big Kindle market. Just a chunk of the 80+Million people who would go into Kindle, that'd be pretty significant.

opuscroakus said:
Well, they just now hit the market in the UK over Christmas, so I'm sure it will take a little more time to filter through to Germany and other outlying areas.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
J.D. Pasco said:
Yeah. Germany would really be a big Kindle market. Just a chunk of the 80+Million people who would go into Kindle, that'd be pretty significant.
Germany is one to watch, for sure. They have a larger population than the UK, and are more voracious readers.

However the market there is being held back by a few things:

*Higher e-book prices (the minimum is 0.99 Euro = $1.49)
*Political interference (publishers have a lot of sway with politicians, and they just passed a law to ALLOW price-fixing by publishers to protect print)
*Even thought the Kindle is officially launched there now, the menus and instructions are still in English.
*The Kindle is 50% more expensive in Germany.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
opuscroakus said:
No, I meant did you have other authors go there and tag them for you? The more folks tag your books, the higher in you'll go in the search, is how I understand it.

I tagged mine in German since I am German, but I haven't asked anyone else to go there and do a tagging exchange.
In order to tag on Amazon.de, you have to have bought something from Amazon.de. I looked into buying a CD of a singer I like, but they want 14 Euros just for S&H.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts