Kindle Forum banner

Do you prefer browsing for books on a computer or your Kindle?

• I prefer the computer

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • I prefer the Kindle

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I use both

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • I have no Whispernet -- Only computer available

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it a lot easier to browse for books on my computer. It's faster, and it's a lot easier to read reviews, etc. I'll then usually download a sample, and buy the book through the Kindle, assuming the sample is good.

What about you?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I am with you Lotus. I find it easier to use the computer to browse for books. The last couple of days, I have been clicking on recomendations from others here on the board while I am reading posts and downloading samples. Whispernet works great at my house, but I prefer my full size keyboard and mouse!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I kinda do both...but checking on my Kindle a smidgen more.  It's due to the free stuff that they tell you about at the Kindle store.  I use my computer to mainly search if there are any free books that I don't know about come out for the Kindle.  Oh and I use my computer to add reviews to different books which is easier for me to type.  I have my Kindle in the original cover all the time, and with small little kid like hands working with the Kindle is great (no accidental button pushes), however typing (especially with the cover on) is really hard!  So my computer definately comes in handy.

Tris

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I mostly use the computer because I'm used to it.  But there are situations where using the Kindle is more convenient and, in fact, downright life-saving. 

E.G., I'm sitting in the doctor's office waiting, waiting, waiting, and I've unexpectedly finished my current book.  Turn on the whispernet, download something from my wishlist and I'm back in business.

But the best was sitting in a car with a restless four year old and downloading something I could read to her to keep her happy.  That one saved my sanity. 

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Last night I was on the sofa with Eleanor the K (that sounds strangely elicit) watching something and it said "based on the book by...."  Rather than get up and look it up on the internet, I used the Whispernet to look it up and request the sample.  First time I've done that but it won't be the last.

Betsy

·
Registered
629 Posts
I use the computer more often but have used both. I usually get on my laptop in the morning while I'm having my coffee, checking my email, reading the kindle boards :p then I go to the kindle store and check out the books and see whats new...read reviews...etc...then when I get on "Spirit" I go to the Kindle store and look up the books I'm interested in and just add to my " save for later list " so when I'm ready to download they are there waiting on me.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I use my computer a lot more. I need to see the covers... I also like to go online after I finish a book and read
the reviews (yes after not before) and often this will lead me to other books. I'll click on some of the suggested
titles, or check the authors other books...
I do the same thing with movies by going to IMDB... I like to surf.

Other than the Kindle store, I have yet to even look at the web browser on my K. I have a laptop right here! I am sure
it will come in more handy, when I travel.

I wish that there was a way to "save to list" from my computer to my Kindle. So instead I have to add it my wish list, then later to my save list or send a sample.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
I browse on my computer some, but I like to browse in book stores.  (I still buy my share of "picture books".)  I'm heading over to Borders this morning.  (Think I read our Borders in Oak Brook, IL is the biggest Borders.)  There's a Barnes and Noble about a block away.  It is relocating into a HUGE space across the street.  Grand opening there is this coming Wednesday.  Don't care as much for B&N, but I'm going to check it out.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If I am at home, I use the computer. If I am out and about and I think of or hear of a book that sounds interesting to me, I use the Kindle.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I agree with Sandpiper, I will never stop loving browsing in a bookstore! Though even before my Kindle, I seldom bought books there. If I fond something I liked, I usually went home and found it used and much cheaper online.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I too still will go to bookstores.  My husband and I love stopping at Borders or B&N and browse and drink coffee.  I always feel compelled to buy SOMETHING, even if it's just coffee, since I'm using their services and want them to stay open!  But if I'm doing signficant buying or gifts for others, I tend to do it online.  I'll still be doing that, as I love giving books as gifts, and no one else in my family has or is likely to get a Kindle (I'm the only gadget geek in the family).

Betsy

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sandpiper said:
I browse on my computer some, but I like to browse in book stores. (I still buy my share of "picture books".) I'm heading over to Borders this morning. (Think I read our Borders in Oak Brook, IL is the biggest Borders.) There's a Barnes and Noble about a block away. It is relocating into a HUGE space across the street. Grand opening there is this coming Wednesday. Don't care as much for B&N, but I'm going to check it out.
Octochick said:
I agree with Sandpiper, I will never stop loving browsing in a bookstore! Though even before my Kindle, I seldom bought books there. If I fond something I liked, I usually went home and found it used and much cheaper online.
Betsy the Quilter said:
I too still will go to bookstores. My husband and I love stopping at Borders or B&N and browse and drink coffee. I always feel compelled to buy SOMETHING, even if it's just coffee, since I'm using their services and want them to stay open! But if I'm doing signficant buying or gifts for others, I tend to do it online. I'll still be doing that, as I love giving books as gifts, and no one else in my family has or is likely to get a Kindle (I'm the only gadget geek in the family).

Betsy
ha ha ha - actually the last time I was in B&N, I had my Kindle out and downloaded books as I was browsing. I was sure someone was going to tell me to stop but no one said anything - I did buy a couple that weren't available for Kindle and a couple Moleskines as well so..... I wasn't a total mooch!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Lotus said:
I find it a lot easier to browse for books on my computer. It's faster, and it's a lot easier to read reviews, etc. I'll then usually download a sample, and buy the book through the Kindle, assuming the sample is good.

What about you?
This is exactly what I do.

L

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
This is exactly what I do.

L
Leslie, maybe you or Harvey can answer a question for me--if someone uses one of our Kindleboard links to go to Amazon, and downloads a sample, if they then later buy the book through their Kindle, does Kindleboards get credit?

Betsy

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I think I'm the same as a lot of you.  For actual browsing, I much prefer to use the computer.  If I've read the sample on the Kindle and want to get the book, or if I finish my book and want a new one, I'll probably get it straight from the Kindle, either going straight to the book from the sample, or getting something from my "Save for Later" list on the Kindle.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I'm all about my iMac, and it's big honking 24" screen.

I still do most of my browsing at the library. Once I read a book, I enter it in Delicious Library so I can keep track. If I really liked it, I will use the feature in Delicious that looks up the book on Amazon, and then I look at the other books that have been purchased by people who bought that book. If the synopsis sounds good, I will add it to my list of books I want to read in Delicious.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Like an earlier poster and Leslie, I browse via computer, download the samples I want and then buy via K the ones I want to read.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts