Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH recently stumbled on the concept of a bullet journal and for an early Christmas present he ordered a started set for each of us.
I've been reading a lot and trying to think about the best way to lay it out for my use, but I also remember that we have a lot of crafty people here on KB so I thought I'd see if anyone else was using a bullet journal (I think that's a run-on sentence)...
I am curious about layouts and any online resources you may have found.

Here is the official site: http://bulletjournal.com/

I also like the explanations from this site better because she is using more plain English: http://www.tinyrayofsunshine.com/blog/bullet-journal-guide

Personally, what I really like is the flexibility to make the journal whatever I need. So if I set something up this week and it doesn't quite work out, I can change it next week. And by a happy coincidence, the journal insert that DH got for me fits perfectly in the Oberon leather journal cover that has been sitting in a drawer for several years.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Great non-trad journaling suggestion.  This feels more like a planner more than anything but I will give the "system" a try.  I just started one.  I will let you know how it goes after about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I just heard about this a few months ago and decided to try an app version for my iPad called Noteshelf. My friend sent me some youtube videos on it... the woman seemed super OCD but it was interesting.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Have read some on the concept and have been "thinking" about trying to get started.
I put together some links that I shared with another friend & you could see some of those resources from this document (https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyh9pcnxlqnnly6/Bullet%20Journaling%20concepts.pdf?dl=0)

But I will confess that it hasn't grabbed me yet. I feel like I'm good at creating systems & absolutely a total failure at following through - so in advance I feel like I wouldn't actually follow through. Jeesh - what a non-starter.

I will love to watch others' successes at getting your system going, though.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I use a bullet journal.

I already used a hardcover notebook for writing down memos, brainstorming, planning, lists etc. But it wasn't organised. It was just my book of stuff that I didn't want to lose. One step up from my chronically using random paper to write lists etc on.

The main difference with the bullet journal idea is the index at the front. And the addition of calendar/planning pages, future month log bits.

I like it because now I can find stuff again, (like the 'going wide' checklist I made yesterday, and the 'Christmas gift list').

Also I like how i write in the month planner page *when I actually need it*. I experimented for years with various planner books and I always needed extra pages.

Those are basically the concepts I took from the bullet journal thing. I don't decorate it, or really journal in it as such. No cute tapes and photos and covers and trinkets.

Just the freedom to know that the next page is the right place to write whatever you want, and if you can foresee the need to find it again, index it.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
CegAbq said:
Have read some on the concept and have been "thinking" about trying to get started.
I put together some links that I shared with another friend & you could see some of those resources from this document (https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyh9pcnxlqnnly6/Bullet%20Journaling%20concepts.pdf?dl=0)

But I will confess that it hasn't grabbed me yet. I feel like I'm good at creating systems & absolutely a total failure at following through - so in advance I feel like I wouldn't actually follow through. Jeesh - what a non-starter.

I will love to watch others' successes at getting your system going, though.
This (the part in bold) is so me.... I set up a bullet journal and never looked at it again. Maybe I should try again....

Betsy

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far mine is pretty plain. I have decent handwriting, but I'm not into calligraphy or cool lettering. I picked up Zentangle a few years ago and I do have some tangles in various corners of pages. So far I'm pretty good about using it, but it's only been a few days. My problem right now is trying to decide what I want to try for next week. I am overthinking everything. But I'm having fun and laughing at myself so it's ok.
DH found some interesting suggestions about using a "Dutch door" technique. The video shows a spread where the top stays in place but the lower pages (maybe 6 of them) were trimmed shorter so you could flip through them while still seeing the week layout across the top. Then she offered a "vertical Dutch door" where you skip one page in the middle and fold it in half so you can flip it around and see whatever list you put on it from either side.
I like the idea of a week at one view just because that's how I tend to organize my thoughts, but I sometimes have a to-do list for the week, instead of specific days. I really don't want to be moving items from a daily to-do list every day, so having a list in the middle sounds like a good compromise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evYzK_-e5LM&feature=youtu.be
(I don't know how to link to YouTube correctly)

I still carry my DayTimer for work since they like us to track our hours by any specific projects we are working on in a particular month. If I can get it together, maybe I can eliminate the 2nd calendar next year.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
This (the part in bold) is so me.... I set up a bullet journal and never looked at it again. Maybe I should try again....

Betsy
Me too!
During much of the 90's into the early 2000's I faithfully kept journals but once I got a laptop I slowly stopped. I have them all stored... a bit embarrassing honestly when I read them. Of course this is something completely different but I just don't know.... just seems like a lot of work and commitment, which if I was good at, I wouldn't need these? LOL

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Reviving this because I'm going to start a bullet journal again....we'll see how this goes.  Rereading some of the stuff in the thread...

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've pretty much settled on doing an actual calendar layout on one page (landscaped) for the current month.  The long list of dates on a page just didn't do it for me.  I need to see the layout so I have a sense of when things are actually happening.  I also keep my trackers on the following page so they are all in one place.
I also do a one-page weekly layout for each week and then throw in daily pages after that when needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts