Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that even big businesses are boycotting Facebook Advertising for their refusal to address online hate, I was wonder whether authors have the same inclination. What are your thoughts. Do you think you need Facebook and can't do without it. Do you think it's the right thing to do. Or are you afraid that your books or products may be seen as supporting hatred online. Do you know if your book or product has been seen along side hate group pages?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney-slashed-ad-spending-on-facebook-amid-growing-boycott-11595101729

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I've been watching this since the boycotting began. Zuckerberg's position continues to be a shrug and a "Whatever. They'll all come back." Unless I've missed it, I've seen no intent for FB to try and fix/change things.

The last I read about it was just after a big meeting they had with advertisers who had left. About a week ago. So if that WSJ article is new--I didn't read it--maybe something has changed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd be lost without Facebook advertising. That's not really a position that I like being in, but there it is.

I (still) haven't tried Amazon advertising. Maybe someday, but the reach just seems too limited. There simply aren't that many people spending time on Amazon - at least in areas where they would see book advertising - as there are on Facebook. Most book buyers just do not find new books to read by looking around on Amazon. Among those who do, I get the impression that a large portion are KU subscribers, and I do full-price and wide books.

Google advertising probably has an equivalent reach. I haven't tried that either, though. I've heard that Google ads might be effective for certain types of non-fiction, but not so much for fiction. Also, like Amazon, greatly inferior targeting and other options vs. Facebook.

So I'm stuck with Facebook. Though beyond the vulnerability of being reliant on a single advertising platform, I have no complaints. The political bickering is irrelevant. No one who matters, including the firms doing the little one-month ad boycott stunt, really cares. Small and medium fishes actually make up the bulk of Facebook's advertising, so (sadly!) it probably won't even result in a marked drop in advertising costs.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
boba1823 said:
I'd be lost without Facebook advertising. That's not really a position that I like being in, but there it is.

I (still) haven't tried Amazon advertising. Maybe someday, but the reach just seems too limited. There simply aren't that many people spending time on Amazon - at least in areas where they would see book advertising - as there are on Facebook. Most book buyers just do not find new books to read by looking around on Amazon. Among those who do, I get the impression that a large portion are KU subscribers, and I do full-price and wide books.
I'm the complete opposite. I tried a FB ad years ago, with disappointing results--maybe I "did it wrong," or something--and I havent' been back. I'm not sure about your logic about people not "spending time on Amazon." Where do millions of people buy books from, if not Amazon? And if they like Author A, they're going to look for books that are like Author A's. As for Facebook... I don't go there to shop or to see what products are being offered. Of course, I use ad block-- don't know why more people don't-- so I can't imagine why people would pay attention to or be influenced by ads on that site.

Anyway, if I thought FB would be useful to me, I'd use it for advertising. But last time I checked it didn't let me point my ad at people (or groups) that I think would be interested. Targeting of ads is important, and on FB it's not as specific as I need it to be.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Jena H said:
I'm not sure about your logic about people not "spending time on Amazon." Where do millions of people buy books from, if not Amazon? And if they like Author A, they're going to look for books that are like Author A's.
Lazy consumer theory. I just made that up, maybe it's really a thing, lol. But based on consumer behaviour in many other contexts, and specifically with regard to low-price sorta-consumable goods, the majority of consumers for a given product don't expend a great deal of effort seeking out a product. Most tend to make their picks from the relative handful of options that are 'in their face' so to speak: a friend recommends it, their book club picked it, some magazine or blog they read featured it, or they saw an advertisement for it.

Some readers are more active, to be sure. Those 'voracious' ones, that all the indie gurus were always telling me I should be pursuing, especially. But that's just a small fraction of all people who buy and read books. I mean, there are hundreds of millions of people around the world who read books, so there are probably some millions of voracious ones. Too much competition for those guys, the way I see it. I aim for the more occasional reader.

In any case.. who were you hoping to target with the Facebook ads? Amazing targeting options is what most advertisers love about Facebook. Just the basic options are fantastic, and the advanced stuff is.. really phenomenal.

I thought it was the Amazon ads that had awful targeting - is it still where you can just target using keywords? If that's improved, I'll have to take another look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
markpauloleksiw said:
Facebook demographics are changing as well.

Young adults (18-30) have abandonned Facebook pretty much. The older crowd is still there.

Mark
Yes, that is true. I believe the medium age of Facebooks users is just over 40 years old. So I guess it depends on your target demographic for your book.
I know this is a contentious topic, but I thought writers would be the ones most vocal about about this issue. Because I thought in order to write courageously in your art, you would have to be brave in the real world too. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Budget Book Covers said:
Yes, that is true. I believe the medium age of Facebooks users is just over 40 years old. So I guess it depends on your target demographic for your book.
I know this is a contentious topic, but I thought writers would be the ones most vocal about about this issue. Because I thought in order to write courageously in your art, you would have to be brave in the real world too. Just my opinion though.
FB demos have been over 40 for a while -- at least the last 5 years? Young people were concentrating on other social media during the last decade. FB still has a very large reach, though. I think once Zuckerberg sorts out the issues, it will bounce back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been on Facebook for over a decade, and I've never been shown an ad from the KKK, or even a more low-grade hate group.

This doesn't mean they don't slip through, but I'm not seeing evidence that it's widespread.

Meanwhile, Amazon got some backlash from its vocal and partisan support of BLM at the height of the destructive riots. People were talking about closing their Amazon accounts.

Now it's been announced that Amazon is going to give preferential showing to a Stacey Abrams documentary in September. I'm sure that will cost at least some of us some sales. Readers will boycott Amazon over stuff like that in these partisan times.

My point: I think we'll need to grin and bear it through Election Day. Facebook and Amazon are sure to become battlefields over the next 100 days. I don't think it's worthwhile for us to expend much of our bandwidth on these issues as indie writers. Just do what you would have done anyway, and let politics take care of itself.

So, to answer the OP: I am not going to stop using Facebook ads over rumors of "hate group" ads. Nor am I going to boycott Amazon over their embrace of political causes.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Patrick1980 said:
I've been on Facebook for over a decade, and I've never been shown an ad from the KKK, or even a more low-grade hate group.

This doesn't mean they don't slip through, but I'm not seeing evidence that it's widespread.

Meanwhile, Amazon got some backlash from its vocal and partisan support of BLM at the height of the destructive riots. People were talking about closing their Amazon accounts.

Now it's been announced that Amazon is going to give preferential showing to a Stacey Abrams documentary in September. I'm sure that will cost at least some of us some sales. Readers will boycott Amazon over stuff like that in these partisan times.

My point: I think we'll need to grin and bear it through Election Day. Facebook and Amazon are sure to become battlefields over the next 100 days. I don't think it's worthwhile for us to expend much of our bandwidth on these issues as indie writers. Just do what you would have done anyway, and let politics take care of itself.

So, to answer the OP: I am not going to stop using Facebook ads over rumors of "hate group" ads. Nor am I going to boycott Amazon over their embrace of political causes.
This.

I can't seem to make FB ads work, Amazon ads seem to work very well.

I keep my personal FB persona pretty apolitical, and my FB author persona completely so.

As a result, I'm ignoring politics. It's much less stressful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts