Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a backlog for purchasing a kindle but when they become available again, is it possible to purchase it with a combination of several gift cards?  I belong to mypoints.com and I have enough points to get about 3 $50 amazon gift cards for a total of $150 plus I can trade in my credit card points for 2 more amazon gift cards for another $100.  This would bring my total of gift cards to $250 so all I would have to pay out of pocket would be the balance.  Does anybody know if this is possible? How would I do it?

·
Registered
366 Posts
when you are on the payment page scroll down and you will see where you can apply gift cards to your purchase.  It says that if your gift cards and promotional codes don't cover the entire cost of the item then whatever is left over will be covered by your selected payment option up above.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
rcarrosq said:
I know there's a backlog for purchasing a kindle but when they become available again, is it possible to purchase it with a combination of several gift cards? I belong to mypoints.com and I have enough points to get about 3 $50 amazon gift cards for a total of $150 plus I can trade in my credit card points for 2 more amazon gift cards for another $100. This would bring my total of gift cards to $250 so all I would have to pay out of pocket would be the balance. Does anybody know if this is possible? How would I do it?
If you apply gift cards to your Amazon.com account, charges will automatically go to the giftcards before your credit card (unless you specify otherwise when you make a purchase). Put the cards on the account, make your purchase, and it will show "amount paid by giftcard" and "amount charged to your credit card."

There might be one problem, however. When Kindles are backordered, they don't charge you for the Kindle until it is ready to ship. So you would just want to make sure you don't buy other stuff at Amazon with your gift card balance in the time interval between ordering your Kindle and getting charged for it.

L

B

·
0 Posts
Leslie said:
There might be one problem, however. When Kindles are backordered, they don't charge you for the Kindle until it is ready to ship. So you would just want to make sure you don't buy other stuff at Amazon with your gift card balance in the time interval between ordering your Kindle and getting charged for it.

L
Beat me to it. ;)

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Actually, when you buy a Kindle using a gift card, the amount is deducted from the gift card balance immediately.  Any remaining that needs to go on a credit card won't be billed until it's shipped. I discovered this myself last month when I ordered my mom's Kindle.

This also happens if you use a gift card to pre-order movies, books, etc.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Actually, when you buy a Kindle using a gift card, the amount is deducted from the gift card balance immediately. Any remaining that needs to go on a credit card won't be billed until it's shipped. I discovered this myself last month when I ordered my mom's Kindle.

This also happens if you use a gift card to pre-order movies, books, etc.
Thank you, Luv. That's good to know!

L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Just to be clear on the buying a Kindle with a gift card, you can apply subsequent gift cards to a pending Kindle by going to the order and applying the gift card specifically to that order, and it will be deducted immediately.

Don't assume though, that you have plenty of time to apply gift cards based on the expected shipping date.  I thought I would have a couple of months to accumulate gift cards and apply them to the Kindle I ordered for my brother.  I actually had about two weeks.  Thank goodness I applied the one I got immediately!

Betsy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts