Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All -

I have a Kindle w/WiFi and love it. I want to buy a kindle for my daughter who lives in Germany. Have a few questions and would appreciate hearing from anyone else willing to offer an opinion. 

Should I buy her a Kindle 3 w/WiFi, or one with WiFi and 3G?

If I register the Kindle in my name, can we share books back and forth without having to repurchase them?

Thank you in advance for your advice!
~ cheryl

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I think the one with 3G is the best bet.  Just like with the families that are sending Kindles to their loved ones in the military, you never know when WiFi might be tough to come by.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Multiple Kindles (up to six, I think?) on the same account can share books. I have never heard that a few thousand miles between them makes any difference.

If it wouldn't ruin a surprise for your daughter, ask her if she has ready access to wifi. If not, get the 3G.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I live in Germany, too.   :)

For her, I'd go with BOTH the 3G and WiFi.  That's what I have...Over here WiFi is available, but not always in all areas.  Depending on where she lives, she may or may not get WiFi.  While traveling, WiFi is not often free or even readily available.  With 3G she won't have to worry much one way or the other.  I only use 3G and mine often switches to EDGE or GPRS, but I've always gotten a signal, even when traveling.

Also, if she's in a situation like I am where she moves often (once every couple years) you don't always know what your next location's WiFi availability will be.  Kindles can last a long time. 

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
beakymcgee said:
Hello All -

I have a Kindle w/WiFi and love it. I want to buy a kindle for my daughter who lives in Germany. Have a few questions and would appreciate hearing from anyone else willing to offer an opinion.

Should I buy her a Kindle 3 w/WiFi, or one with WiFi and 3G?
WiFi is fairly ubiquitous over here, but if she doesn't have her own WiFi at her residence, having the 3G will probably come in handy for her.
If I register the Kindle in my name, can we share books back and forth without having to repurchase them?
Yes! I suggest you buy the device on your account and it will come registered. Have it delivered to you so you can load some books on it from your archive before you send it to her -- also make sure it all works as expected before sending it overseas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts