Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't be receiving my Kindle until early March.  I'm almost certain I'll fall deeply in love with it, but on the off-chance that for some reason I need to return it, should I really be purchasing Kindle books before its arrival? 

What happens if I purchase Kindle books before it arrives and I need to return the Kindle if it doesn't work out for me? 

Also, I can't find in the FAQ how I purchase Kindle books before my Kindle arrives.  If I simply purchase a Kindle edition, does Amazon automatically know to download it to my future Kindle?  Thanks.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Libro,

To purchase kindle books before your kindle arrives just log onto amazon select a kindle book and click the purchase option. My kindle was pretty loaded by the time it arrived with a ton of books. Poor thing I turned it on and it spent the next half hour flickering and adding stuff!!  ;D

As for if you have to return your kindle... Do you mean if you change your mind on the purchase? if that's the case you only have 7 days to return books so I would wait until you receive your kindle. If you mean return if something goes wrong then all the books you already have will be transferred to the replacement kindle  ;D

hope that answers your questions

Theresam

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
While you are waiting, you can order samples for your Kindle (free) but wait until it arrives to buy books. That way, there is no risk and no money invested in the off chance your Kindle isn't the most perfectest thing in the world for you.

L

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leslie said:
While you are waiting, you can order samples for your Kindle (free) but wait until it arrives to buy books. That way, there is no risk and no money invested in the off chance your Kindle isn't the most perfectest thing in the world for you.

L
The only book I purchased from your FAQ, Leslie. I couldn't wait. Other than that, I've been downloading books that are currently "free" on Amazon.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bkworm8it said:
Libro,

To purchase kindle books before your kindle arrives just log onto amazon select a kindle book and click the purchase option. My kindle was pretty loaded by the time it arrived with a ton of books. Poor thing I turned it on and it spent the next half hour flickering and adding stuff!! ;D

As for if you have to return your kindle... Do you mean if you change your mind on the purchase? if that's the case you only have 7 days to return books so I would wait until you receive your kindle. If you mean return if something goes wrong then all the books you already have will be transferred to the replacement kindle ;D

hope that answers your questions

Theresam
I only bought one book for my Kindle so far (the rest have been freebies or sample chapters). Can I return the book if it hasn't been downloaded yet?

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
libro said:
I only bought one book for my Kindle so far (the rest have been freebies or sample chapters). Can I return the book if it hasn't been downloaded yet?
They have a 7 day return policy on the Kindle books (unless something is wrong with it). I personally recommend just sending samples or buying books you KNOW you want. (I had to have the Outlander series and In Death series, so I purchased several of those before my Kindle showed up)

·
Registered
400 Posts
bkworm8it said:
Libro,

To purchase kindle books before your kindle arrives just log onto amazon select a kindle book and click the purchase option. My kindle was pretty loaded by the time it arrived with a ton of books. Poor thing I turned it on and it spent the next half hour flickering and adding stuff!! ;D
That's odd. I tried to do that but it says I can't purchase a Kindle book unless I have a Kindle attached to my account. I am required to tell it my Kindle's serial number in order to attach it to my account. I obviously don't know the serial number because I do not have the Kindle because they haven't shipped it (and i have been waiting since Chanukah 2008!!!) so I guess you can't actually buy Kindle books without the Kindle in hand??

·
Registered
377 Posts
My Amazon account has '****'s Kindle' on my account page and I have been able to add samples of five books so far.  The samples plus my 'thank you letter' show as pending delivery to my Kindle 2 which is due to arrive 2/26.  No serial # shows in my Amazon account.

·
Registered
139 Posts
webhill said:
That's odd. I tried to do that but it says I can't purchase a Kindle book unless I have a Kindle attached to my account. I am required to tell it my Kindle's serial number in order to attach it to my account. I obviously don't know the serial number because I do not have the Kindle because they haven't shipped it (and i have been waiting since Chanukah 2008!!!) so I guess you can't actually buy Kindle books without the Kindle in hand??
Webhill are you waiting for a K2 from Amazon or did you buy a K1 from a 3rd party? I think that makes the difference, if you buy it from Amazon automatically the kindle is attached to your account even if it hasn't arrives (that's me), but I don't know how it works with 3rd party, maybe that's why...
Just a thought.... :)

I've bought a bunch of free book, send a lot of samples so I don't forget I want that book, but have only bought a couple of book, I didn't want to risk the money.... :-[

·
Registered
400 Posts
CuriousLaura said:
Webhill are you waiting for a K2 from Amazon or did you buy a K1 from a 3rd party? I think that makes the difference, if you buy it from Amazon automatically the kindle is attached to your account even if it hasn't arrives (that's me), but I don't know how it works with 3rd party, maybe that's why...
Just a thought.... :)

I've bought a bunch of free book, send a lot of samples so I don't forget I want that book, but have only bought a couple of book, I didn't want to risk the money.... :-[
It's from Amazon, but someone else bought it for me and designated it as a gift, so it's not attached to my account and will not be attached to my account until I get it and then attach it to my account! So it's not possible to buy any books AND it's not even possible to make a "wish list" of Kindle books, which really chaps my hide. I called support and they recommended I make a list of books I want to buy with (gasp) a pencil and paper. Seriously! WTF? I mean, that's just absurd that there is no way to save a list of wanna-purchase items on amazon in this situation... isn't it?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've ordered quite a few sample chapters before my Kindle arrives and can see the most recent in the Manage Kindle section on Amazon.  I'm curious if anyone knows.....before you get your Kindle, if you forget and choose a sample more than once, does it send it more than once? 

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You can make a wishlist of Kindle books using the Amazon Universal Wishlist button.

http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/get-button

For me, I have three wishlists, one for regular stuff I want, one for books I wish were available for the Kindle, and one for Kindle books I want that are available that I haven't purchased yet.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
libro said:
I've ordered quite a few sample chapters before my Kindle arrives and can see the most recent in the Manage Kindle section on Amazon. I'm curious if anyone knows.....before you get your Kindle, if you forget and choose a sample more than once, does it send it more than once?
FYI, samples don't last in the Amazon Whispernet queue forever. You may not get all of the samples you requested.

·
Registered
400 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
You can make a wishlist of Kindle books using the Amazon Universal Wishlist button.

http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/get-button

For me, I have three wishlists, one for regular stuff I want, one for books I wish were available for the Kindle, and one for Kindle books I want that are available that I haven't purchased yet.
OMG thank you so much! I cannot believe the Amazon support staff people who were emailing me about this for days, as well as the guy I spoke to on the phone, didn't think to suggest this. It works perfectly! Pencil and paper indeed. Sheesh.

·
Registered
493 Posts
webhill said:
OMG thank you so much! I cannot believe the Amazon support staff people who were emailing me about this for days, as well as the guy I spoke to on the phone, didn't think to suggest this. It works perfectly! Pencil and paper indeed. Sheesh.
Who would have guessed that amazon is staffed by a bunch of Luddites. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts