Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you considered buying email lists so you can email people who might be interested in your niche when you launch a book?  A quick google reveals lots of companies selling email lists.  Have you done this and what was your experience?  It seems like a great way to boost sales, but I wonder if those emails are all legit or if some, or most, are fake? Thank you.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
RaphaelS said:
Have you considered buying email lists so you can email people who might be interested in your niche when you launch a book? A quick google reveals lots of companies selling email lists. Have you done this and what was your experience? It seems like a great way to boost sales, but I wonder if those emails are all legit or if some, or most, are fake? Thank you.
Companies are not supposed to sell people's email addresses. And since you wouldn't have permission to email those people - because those people didn't give you permission - you should not do it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
To be real - there are legit offers out there though most of the offers are getting you banned / into spam territory and into trouble.
The ones where people innocently opted in to receive these kind of mails is when did did not pay attention - so their interest in you is not high. Companies do not get the mail addresses but you can buy blast.
It is about as successful as you think.

In a sense 'buying' mail addresses is what you do with ads leading to a funnel with your newsletter / sales - however most people dont like doing it, because it does not seem successful. So they want a silver bullet.
Instead of putting in the work to make their funnel work they ask about things like "what about if I buy a mail list" / "how much income can I make if I sell swag" / "how about ..."

The reason for that is that through ads it becomes very clear that what they have to offer is a) not something people are interested in or b) there is already so much other stuff out there which is better, cheaper, has more reviews.

So yes you can buy such a list - but it will lead into nothing but trouble for you. Professional mailing list operators like mailchimp have strict rules about it and your account will be banned. Not blocked, banned.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
If you want to get a lot of spam reports to your email server, therefore getting your account banned and your list dissolving before your eyes (even legit ones) then, yeah, it's a great idea.

Let's be real, please. Do you like having emails you didn't ask for clogging up your email inbox. Do you read them? Or do you simply delete them or report them as spam? Is that what you like? You say it seems like a great way to get sales, a statement I really shake my head at. It is a terrible way to get sales and a great way to get a bad reputation.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
RaphaelS said:
Have you considered buying email lists so you can email people who might be interested in your niche when you launch a book? A quick google reveals lots of companies selling email lists. Have you done this and what was your experience? It seems like a great way to boost sales, but I wonder if those emails are all legit or if some, or most, are fake? Thank you.
I think you answered your own question.

As said above, always SMH-funny to see people expecting other people to behave differently from how they themselves would in the same situation.

·
Registered
755 Posts
OP: Would you buy a book from somebody who spammed you?

I get so much spam these days I'm thinking of setting up a canning factory. Anybody want to go into business? I've got different flavours.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
scottdouglas said:
The only way to list build is organically through opt-ins and swaps.
What's an opt-in?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Alondo said:
What's an opt-in?
When you sign up for someone's newsletter, you opt in by putting in your email and clicking the button that says Sign Me Up! or whatever. A double opt-in is when the newsletter sends you an email with a link, and you have to click the link to confirm that you definitely want to be on the list.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
ShayneRutherford said:
When you sign up for someone's newsletter, you opt in by putting in your email and clicking the button that says Sign Me Up! or whatever. A double opt-in is when the newsletter sends you an email with a link, and you have to click the link to confirm that you definitely want to be on the list.
Okay thanks, that makes sense. My understanding was that review swaps were out of order, though?

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Yes, review swaps are a big don't do it. Amazon catches you, that's your account. The government catches you, that's your freedom. Or a heft fine, at least, and maybe both.

Buying email lists used to be a thing, but there are laws against it now. I know if I get junk because some company shared my email, that's going to cause a lot of problems.

So, the best advice is, learn how to build your email list in a way that's going to help you, not hurt you. Yes, it takes time. Yes, there's effort in it. So what? Anything worth doing is going to take time and effort, and possibly some money.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Alondo said:
Okay thanks, that makes sense. My understanding was that review swaps were out of order, though?
Review swaps are definitely out of order. I don't think anyone said anything about review swaps in this thread, did they?

Newsletter swaps are... I would say iffy? I mean, if I sign up for someone's newsletter, that means I want to hear about new releases from them. Not some other dude whose newsletter I did not sign up for. Too many newsletters from people I'm not interested in is going to get me to unsubscribe from the first dude's newsletter pretty darn fast.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Alondo said:
What have reviews got to do with anything? Have you never signed up for a mailing list? When someone signs up for my list, they will get an email with a link to confirm that they want to be on the list. Then, when I have a new book or a special offer, I have them on my list along with others who have done the same to get there. I can send my newsletter or announcement to everyone on their list.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Doglover said:
What have reviews got to do with anything? Have you never signed up for a mailing list? When someone signs up for my list, they will get an email with a link to confirm that they want to be on the list. Then, when I have a new book or a special offer, I have them on my list along with others who have done the same to get there. I can send my newsletter or announcement to everyone on their list.
I was responding the the previous responder who was suggesting review swaps, if you read the thread.

I tried to construct a mailing list through Mailchimp, but couldn't understand how it worked. After numerous queries which didn't get me anywhere, I simply gave up.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Alondo said:
I was responding the the previous responder who was suggesting review swaps, if you read the thread.

I tried to construct a mailing list through Mailchimp, but couldn't understand how it worked. After numerous queries which didn't get me anywhere, I simply gave up.
That was the point. The responder was not suggesting review swaps, only newsletter swaps. I also found Mailchimp complicated and even more so when they new improved it. But it is worth persevering with one of the services. I like Mailchimp because the first 2000 subscribers are free.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Also, "newsletter swaps" might mean different things.

Swapping the email lists is a no-no, no different from any other email list sale or transfer against regs or laws.

Many times when people talk about newsletter swaps, they are talking about a "you promo my book in your newsletter, I'll promo yours" type of deal, which is not in any way illegal, and is only shady if (for example) false claims are made, such as lying and recommending books as if one has read them when they never have.

I have a newsletter, and I recommend books that I or my spouse have actually read and meet our standards. I've turned down recommendations or swaps from authors that, despite being "known" and selling books, the book in question did not for some reason meet our standards.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts