KBoards.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I clicked on an add on a blog (sorry can't remember where) and the author was offering to sell a download for $2.99. File delivery is via email. I guess in this scenario, the author keeps the $2.99 and the reader has the file and could send it to friends and others.

It seems like a risk on both parts, reader and author.

Disclaimer: I have sent thousands of free copies of The End of Marking Time through email, but I have never charged for an e-book from my website.

Would you buy a book directly from an author? Will this be a coming trend?

CJ

--- edited... no self-promotion outside the Book Bazaar forum. please read our Forum Decorum thread.

·
Super Moderator
67,219 Posts
I only ever buy from Amazon.  That way if it's badly formatted or something, I can return it and get my money back.  So, no. :)

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
I'm only interested in buying from Amazon or well-established websites such as webscriptions.net.

Sent from my Sprint EVO using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
If this is an author selling their own work, and it had been recommended to me by someone else, I most certainly would buy from that site. I think of it as "would I have bought this from Amazon, Kobo, or Webscriptions?" If yes, then I'll buy it direct from the author.

If this is some unknown ebook vendor, then I'd have to make sure they're legitimate, and look around for comments on them first.

·
Registered
382 Posts
We have a website where we sell our books and we send via email. We do sell a fair amount of books from the website.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I wouldn't buy from a website where the author was only selling their own books ... unless I knew the author very well. I'd be a little concern if I'd get the book.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've sold a few copies on eBay.  I emailed it to the winners in numerous formats, which I had processed on Smashwords.  I used the 'Buy It Now' and had no complaints.  :-\BUT...It's a lot more work for an author than the passive selling on Amazon. 

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would buy from an author's website if it was credible and it would also depend on the checkout system. If they used paypal or google checkout, I would feel safe.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Good question. I've downloaded free books from Baen and purchased a few from Smashwords. But directly from the author? I've downloaded Cory Doctorow's books that he has available for free on his site and some Doctor Who novels from the BBC. I think I'd have to be familiar with the author, as I was with CD before I'd download (free or not). Otherwise all of my books have come from trusted sources.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Unless it was a recommended site or author (i.e. Cory Doctorow, whom my brother suggested), I wouldn't.  And it has nothing to do with money or with actually getting the product.  I am very wary of downloading anything electronic.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'd buy from anywhere. If the formatting is bad I'd just sort it myself. I haven't bought from that many places though, just Amazon and eBookmall (because their large print editions have the same content but are so much cheaper than the normal versions on Amazon)

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Nope. I prefer Amazon and I would be willing to buy from established and known companies that also sell ebooks. Reason I don't do more often is that I can never figure out if the formats they offer have DRM or not.
Like All Romance is a site I just can't figure it out for sure. I had the same issue with Fiction wise. Darn DRM makes everything so complicated.
So I stick with Amazon.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Sure, I'll buy (and have bought) direct from an author. I would rather give them all the money instead of just cut. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just did it today, as a matter of fact .... www.cahillpress.com Only 2 books available, but I used PayPal and the book was sent to me immediately. Dreamweaver (I think that's Michelle's KB user name) had a book that interested me and I followed the link. Had a brief exchange with Michelle and she couldn't have been nicer. Hoping to get to that book next on my list and get a review out for it soon.

·
Registered
613 Posts
So far, I don't remember buying directly from an invidual author. Still, I bought from an "author's co-op" (Closed Circle), from small publishers (Ridan Publishing), and would gladly pay for an ebook directly from an author if possible (and legit).
For example, if an author sold an ebook direcly from his website in addition to a "publishing deal", buying directly from him would mean not compensating the publisher --> no no.

PS : I'm in no way affiliated to any of the sites I mention above ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts