Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Can I buy a Kindle as a gift for someone and not have Amazon automatically put it on my account?  I want to give it unregistered and let the person go on Amazon and sign up and start their own account.  Is that possible and do I need to do anything in particular to make it happen that way? 

Also, can one buy Kindle books solely with gift card account dollars or does a credit card have to be on file too?

TIA
kari

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
They will automatically register it to your account. You can deregister it before you give it away.

You have to have a credit card with a US address on an account to buy books, even if you use gift certificates.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pigeon.  So I would just go into my account and select Deregister and then how would they go about registering it in their name?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
They will have to establish an Amazon account, then when they go to Manage Your Kindle they will find a link that says Register a new Kindle. All they have to do is put in the serial number and they are in business. :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Won't the gift still count against the 6 registered device limit to the purchaser tho? I thought just de-registering Kindles didn't actually remove them..

Amazon really needs to find a way to make giving Kindles as a gift easier.

·
Registered
723 Posts
kari said:
Hi everyone,
Can I buy a Kindle as a gift for someone and not have Amazon automatically put it on my account? I want to give it unregistered and let the person go on Amazon and sign up and start their own account. Is that possible and do I need to do anything in particular to make it happen that way?

Also, can one buy Kindle books solely with gift card account dollars or does a credit card have to be on file too?

TIA
kari
MIne was a gift and it wasn't registered to the gift giver.
She did have it shipped directly to me though.

maybe that makes a difference?

Best gift I got in MANY years.
Eric

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
You can have more than six registered to your account, but cannot download books to more than 6. Once they are downloaded to a device it licenced to it. You can have problems but if you call CS they can delete the device from your account and then you can download books that were on the deleted device to the new one. At least that is what I understand.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Still a trainer of dogs... said:
Best gift I got in MANY years.
Eric
Pretty good gift for us too because you joined kboards.com ;)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tranquil Ape said:
during purchase it amazon will ask if this is a gift, if so they will ship it unregistered.
I'll watch for that. If they ask, it will be great, but I need it shipped to me, not the recipient.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Tranquil Ape said:
during purchase it amazon will ask if this is a gift, if so they will ship it unregistered.
Thank you for this info, Tranquil Ape, I just had a K2 mailed to my niece. It is good to know it will be delivered unregistered so she can just register it and start to get books she would like to have.

yogini

1 - 13 of 13 Posts