Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I just downloaded Calibre, and I am wondering if I could buy books from all the different stores, Nook, Kobo, and so on, and convert them all to read on the Kindle Keyboard or Kindle apps?
Gene

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, can a purchased book with DRM be changed to allow it to be used with a talking book player which would support Word docs, HTML, and text, files?  I'm suggesting that blind talking book readers pirate books, but rather buy them from the various ebook stores and then convert them into a format that is compatible with the talking book players.
Gene

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
So long as there is no DRM on the books, then you can upload them from different sources and convert them to .mobi files to be read on a kindle device.  Calibre will convert them to a series of different formats that includes .txt but not .doc.  For HTML, there is an HTMLZ format that's essentially a Zipped form that includes an HTML file inside - I've never used this option but it's been available for about a year so I'm fairly sure any undocumented features in it have been sorted out by now.  :)

Regarding your DRM question, Calibre will not convert books that have any form of DRM attached to them to a different format.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi Geoffrey,
Thanks for the valuable feedback.  I was hoping there was a way around the DRM, in this case that aren't illegal, but rather to address the accessibility for blind Kindle or digital talkingbook player owners.  I know Kindleboards fronds on discussing ways to remove DRM, but if you or someone knows of a work around for this problem could email me off list at [email protected] with a way of addressing this issue, I appreciate it.

Again, I want to stress that I'm not wanting this information for illegal purposes, but rather to address a glaring problem the blind community is dealing with in the area of ereader access to content.  I strongly believe that the authors who produce the content we enjoy must be compensated for their hard work and copyright over the written work.  I want this to be a situation where the blind Kindle or talkingbook player owner would go to the Kindle, Nook, or Kobo, stores to by the content and then convert it to be accessible.

Finally, I'm going to put a call into Bookshare.org to see if they could work out an agreement with the publishers, author's guild, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Kobo, to hopefully get their Okay for Bookshare to do the conversion and then install their own DRM to keep the content from being freely passed around to other blind digital talkingbook readers thus protecting the copyright of the content.

Thanks Gene

·
Super Moderator
67,495 Posts
It's true that we don't allow discussion of how to strip DRM. We're not particularly concerned with the legality, or not, of doing so, and take no position on whether the existince of DRM is good or bad, or stripping it is right or wrong.  BUT, it is generally against the Terms of Service of the major ebook sellers.

I, personally, have no interest in doing so, for any reason, but I would be willing to bet a fairly significant amount of money that it wouldn't take much searching on the internet to find something that does what you want it to do.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ann,
I did send an email to Bookshare.org explaining the issue and asking them if they could approach the various parties who would be involved in allowing this request to become reality.  It seemed like a good place to start and the most appropriate thing to do to hopefully bring about a possible legal solution to this ongoing problem.
Thanks again, Gene

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Gene,

you might want to check at mobileread.comd, as that's the home of the Calibre help forum; they'll be able to answer your questions regarding Calibre and DRM.

Betsy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts