Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to make sense of the Calibre plug-in that allows you to manage your Kindle Collections - but I'm finding it hard going.  :eek:

Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial of some kind?

·
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jmiked said:
The only info on how to use it is in the message thread on the forum:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118635

Which you likely have already seen. I was intending to look into it next week sometime.

Mike
Thank you, Mike. Yes I've seen that thread and frankly I can't make head or tale of the instructions. I'm usually quite good at this sort of thing so I'm finding it very frustrating not being able to grasp even the fundamentals of what this does and how it works.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have some knowledge of Calibre. When I create any kind of file with it, you can send it to a file with a certain name--whatever you have it sorted by when you convert the ebook to whatever format you are using.

I don't use it for anything other than created a mobi file and a lit file that is sold off our website. I mange the authors sorted by their last name, first name.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for. There isn't a lot of on-line help when it comes to Calibre.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Linjeakel said:
Thank you, Mike. Yes I've seen that thread and frankly I can't make head or tale of the instructions. I'm usually quite good at this sort of thing so I'm finding it very frustrating not being able to grasp even the fundamentals of what this does and how it works.
You're not kidding Lin, I'm usually OK with all things techie, but that thread is definitely not simple!

I think the problem is that all of the tools to modify collections do so by editing a system file on the Kindle called collections.json. This is not something that the Kindle is designed for you to do, hence the need for several restarts.

This whole approach worries me if you've already got a load of stuff on the Kindle with some collections set up, I'm worried about how robust it all is, you could end up with all your existing collections messed up and having to start from scratch.

Personally, although I'm usually keen to play with stuff to help people out, I'm afraid in this case I'd want a spare Kindle which I could use for testing, I wouldn't want to try this out on mine!

Anyway, if it helps there are a couple of threads I can point you to which may give you hints:

You may remember this thread from a while ago which had a tool to create the .json file for you http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=47348.0.

This thread discussed that same tool and also the calibre plugin http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=57855.0.

Chilady1 seems to have some knowledge of the plugin according to this thread http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=55101.0, might be worth pinging her?

·
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Morf - I'll have a look at those links as soon as I get the time.  ;D

I think the problem with this plug-in is that it can do a lot more than I want or need it to do and I can't seem to single out the bit I need from all the other stuff. I've managed to import my existing collections so they show in a custom column and I had hoped that when I put a new book on there all I would have to do is to type the collection names I want it in into that column and it would put the book into those collections when I sent it to the Kindle, creating any collections that didn't already exist on the device as it did so. I'm not sure if it can do that exactly and if it can, I can't figure out how!  ???

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Linjeakel said:
Thank goodness ... I thought I was going stupid or something, 'cause I don't understand how it's supposed to work. I can get my collections onto the Kindle, but can't get books to go into them.

The instructions I got are:

"A simple yes or no? It depends on what you mean by yes or no

At the moment, almost. With the next release of the plugin this weekend, yes-ish.

If you just use Send to Device for a book, then no, your book will not go into a collection automatically. You must manually run Create Collections once the book is on the device.

But if you use the Reading List plugin, and add the books you want to sync to the device to a list, then you can configure it to sync the books you want to the device when you connect and update the collections automatically (not working perfectly yet until the next release). "

I did this and it worked once. Then I tried again doing it exactly the same way and while I got the collections on OK, all of the books that were in collections on my Kindle were moved OUT of the collections. So now I have 11 pages of books and nothing in my collections!

I sure hope someone gets this figured out!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
OK, so here's how the Collections plug in seems to work properly:

1. Open Calibre.
2. Connect Kindle.
3. Upload any books.
4. Click, "Create collections on the Kindle from Calibre.
5. Wait until told to eject device and do so.
6. Restart Kindle.

At this point when the Kindle comes back on, you may see everything REMOVED from collections. If so, add the following steps:
7. Kill a chicken and dribble its blood on the ground while reciting the Jabberwocky.
8. Close Calibre.
9. Restart Calibre.
10.Repeat steps 1. through 6. above.

At least that seems to work for me, but what a pain in the butt, having to run it twice!!!

·
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL - HappyGuy I think you may be closer to the truth than you realise!

I'm trying to get to grips with this in anticipation of the next Kindle I buy. When I upgraded previously first I had to download all my Amazon books from archive as they are device specific (and when dear Amazon are you going to wise up and make them account specific?) but then I was able to import my collections from one device to the other and of course all my Amazon purchased books immediately slotted into place in their respective collections. My non-Amazon stuff on the other hand was easy enough to get onto the device by just copying from calibre, but then I had to put them all into their collections manually, which took forever. :eek:

I have substantially more items on my Kindle now and I'm dreading what happens in the next couple of years if I want to upgrade at some point. I just want to be able to send those non-Amazon books from calibre to a new device and have them slot into their collections automatically. :mad:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I've been playing around with the plug in for several hours, now and seem to have it figured out (at least this works for MY Kindle!).

1. Open Calibre.
2. Connect Kindle.
3. Upload any books.
4. Click, "Create collections on the Kindle from Calibre".
6. Restart Kindle.

At this point when the Kindle comes back on, you may see everything REMOVED from collections. Give the Kindle time to update everything - the more books, the longer this takes. If everything HAS been removed, close Calibre and repeat steps 1 - 6 above.

I think the secret is to 1) Run the plugin IMMEDIATELY after uploading the books and 2) Closing and restarting Calibre if you want to run the plugin again.

Oh, by the way, you may want to upgrade to the latest version of Calibre, also. Of course, your mileage may vary and in case you are killed or captured the secretary will disavow all knowledge, etc., etc., etc.

·
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HappyGuy said:
.......Oh, by the way, you may want to upgrade to the latest version of Calibre, also. Of course, your mileage may vary and in case you are killed or captured the secretary will disavow all knowledge, etc., etc., etc.
I'm not sure I'm any the wiser for reading your instructions and I bet if I get it wrong my Kindle will self-destruct in five seconds. :eek: ;D

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Linjeakel said:
I'm not sure I'm any the wiser for reading your instructions and I bet if I get it wrong my Kindle will self-destruct in five seconds. :eek: ;D
If it DOES self-destruct, try the chicken and Jabberwocky thing. Can't hurt (well, at least it won't hurt you, the chicken is another story) and it MAY work!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Linjeakel said:
LOL Well I can tell you my Kindle didn't self-destruct. However I am still not sure I have done this right. I am not even sure what I did to make it work. It took me for ever to figure out how to restart my Kindle. Obviously I haven't done it before. AARRRGGGGG... This is suppose to be easy.

·
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HappyGuy said:
I've been playing around with the plug in for several hours, now and seem to have it figured out (at least this works for MY Kindle!).

1. Open Calibre.
2. Connect Kindle.
3. Upload any books.
4. Click, "Create collections on the Kindle from Calibre".
6. Restart Kindle.

At this point when the Kindle comes back on, you may see everything REMOVED from collections. Give the Kindle time to update everything - the more books, the longer this takes. If everything HAS been removed, close Calibre and repeat steps 1 - 6 above.

I think the secret is to 1) Run the plugin IMMEDIATELY after uploading the books and 2) Closing and restarting Calibre if you want to run the plugin again.

Oh, by the way, you may want to upgrade to the latest version of Calibre, also. Of course, your mileage may vary and in case you are killed or captured the secretary will disavow all knowledge, etc., etc., etc.
So I followed these instructions and it sort of worked, but not correctly. Where I had books in more than one collection e.g. 'read', 'non-fiction' & 'history' it created a collection called 'read non-fiction history' and put all the books that were in all three of them into that collection as well! It did the same with every combination of collections I had! :eek:

Back to the drawing board. *sigh* ???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.