Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Linjeakel said:
Thank you, Mike. Yes I've seen that thread and frankly I can't make head or tale of the instructions. I'm usually quite good at this sort of thing so I'm finding it very frustrating not being able to grasp even the fundamentals of what this does and how it works.
Thank goodness ... I thought I was going stupid or something, 'cause I don't understand how it's supposed to work. I can get my collections onto the Kindle, but can't get books to go into them.

The instructions I got are:

"A simple yes or no? It depends on what you mean by yes or no

At the moment, almost. With the next release of the plugin this weekend, yes-ish.

If you just use Send to Device for a book, then no, your book will not go into a collection automatically. You must manually run Create Collections once the book is on the device.

But if you use the Reading List plugin, and add the books you want to sync to the device to a list, then you can configure it to sync the books you want to the device when you connect and update the collections automatically (not working perfectly yet until the next release). "

I did this and it worked once. Then I tried again doing it exactly the same way and while I got the collections on OK, all of the books that were in collections on my Kindle were moved OUT of the collections. So now I have 11 pages of books and nothing in my collections!

I sure hope someone gets this figured out!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
OK, so here's how the Collections plug in seems to work properly:

1. Open Calibre.
2. Connect Kindle.
3. Upload any books.
4. Click, "Create collections on the Kindle from Calibre.
5. Wait until told to eject device and do so.
6. Restart Kindle.

At this point when the Kindle comes back on, you may see everything REMOVED from collections. If so, add the following steps:
7. Kill a chicken and dribble its blood on the ground while reciting the Jabberwocky.
8. Close Calibre.
9. Restart Calibre.
10.Repeat steps 1. through 6. above.

At least that seems to work for me, but what a pain in the butt, having to run it twice!!!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I've been playing around with the plug in for several hours, now and seem to have it figured out (at least this works for MY Kindle!).

1. Open Calibre.
2. Connect Kindle.
3. Upload any books.
4. Click, "Create collections on the Kindle from Calibre".
5. Wait until told to eject device and do so.
6. Restart Kindle.

At this point when the Kindle comes back on, you may see everything REMOVED from collections. Give the Kindle time to update everything - the more books, the longer this takes. If everything HAS been removed, close Calibre and repeat steps 1 - 6 above.

I think the secret is to 1) Run the plugin IMMEDIATELY after uploading the books and 2) Closing and restarting Calibre if you want to run the plugin again.

Oh, by the way, you may want to upgrade to the latest version of Calibre, also. Of course, your mileage may vary and in case you are killed or captured the secretary will disavow all knowledge, etc., etc., etc.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Linjeakel said:
I'm not sure I'm any the wiser for reading your instructions and I bet if I get it wrong my Kindle will self-destruct in five seconds. :eek: ;D
If it DOES self-destruct, try the chicken and Jabberwocky thing. Can't hurt (well, at least it won't hurt you, the chicken is another story) and it MAY work!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Maybe you're only allowed one category per customer ... ummm ... book. All of mine are in only one category on my Kindle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts