Kindle Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Maybe you're only allowed one category per customer ... ummm ... book. All of mine are in only one category on my Kindle.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
geoffthomas said:
I WAS going to start using Calibre for managing my Kindle......
Now I am not so sure it is a good idea.

Just sayin.....
Calibre is an excellent tool for managing your ebooks. In general it is very easy to use.

This discussion is about one specific add-in to Calibre which allows you to manage collections.

Unfortunately Amazon didn't design the Kindle so that collections can be managed externally, so the add-in is modifying the Kindle system files to make the changes. As a result, it is not an easy add-in to use.

Don't let this discussion put you off using Calibre in general, just be warned that collection management is not straightforward in Calibre (or in any other PC-based tool).

·
Registered
445 Posts
The inability to easily manage collections is my number one gripe about Kindle.  No offense to the authors of Calibre or the plugin, but it's about as clear as mud (and this, coming from someone whose career has been in software development and project management).  Amazon should really provide a user-intuitive PC interface for kindle management, especially since the device is capable of holding thousands of documents.  It's difficult for me to manipulate collections on the kindle itself - after a while my fingers just can't take it.  Amazon really needs to create a drag-n-drop interface.

That's my rant for the day.  Now back to our regularly-scheduled Kindle Anonymous meeting ;D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah I've had issues with that plugin too. It sometimes works for different books and sometimes not. Even with a hard restart.  I LOVE calibre for everything else though as I have lots of books and it is a godsend for organizing and such. I guess I just got to mess with that plugin a little more...

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
I just recently started using Calibre again (I tried it when I first got my K1, it kept hanging up trying to read the Kindle, I finally gave up).  I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the program now and how quickly it works.  And since I have a K1, collections don't apply to me, but I've been reading through stuff on the site and on the MobileRead forum, and it appears to me that the developer pretty much disavows the collections plugin....

But everything else seems to work pretty well.

It does seem to me that Amazon is going to have to come up with a way to transfer collections that works well, with the number of these things out there now.

Betsy

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.