Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably come up befor and I did to a search, however I can't find what I need.

someone mentioned a program called Calibre, where he is getting his newspapers. feeds, etc.. can you tell me what is does exactly, how it works and how I can install it.. I can find some file online but its for windows, mac or linux, I dont see a kindle file persay.. and not sure what the instructions are.. I have found people menition it on this board but nothing that walks you through it.. anything you have would be helpful.. thanks!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Calibre is another program to convert your *.pdf files or *.lit or some other format that can not be directly read by your Kindle.  Then the converted *.prc file can be transferred to your K via USB or email.  That is its only connection to Kindle.  I have had problems with some conversions looking pretty funky on the Kindle.  And the author metadata is not right for the K.  Uses first name - last name instead of last name - first name.

Mobi creator does a better job.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dave.. thank you but that does not really help

I need a step by step direction.. there is so much on the mobi board its confusing.. I was wondering if there is a step by step guide and also how are people getting the news papers... etc on it.. everything i read says its easy (I already have feedbooks) but I can't find specifics

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It is really an e-book organizer. Once you have it loaded on your computer, you just drag and drop files that you want on your Kindle onto it. You can then convert the files to Kindle format if they are not DRMd. I've loaded all of the free books I've found in various places into it, and converted any that were not in Kindle format... You can change the metadata information, and the application will upload directly to the Kindle.

There is a button in the application whereby you can schedule downloads of various newspapers, I have not tried that feature yet, but I will shortly.... Here are two screenshots from my copy of the app.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how do I get it I have no idea what to download and where. This is all new to me . Is there any step by step info anywhere.  I get the file is on my computer but how do I get this to my kindle and i have no idea what metadata is.. now I am not an idiot I did manage to get the screensavers changed.. etc.. but step by step (even a sticky) would be helpful.. I can only find bits and pieces of info on this..

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You get Calibre at http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/

You install it on your Windows PC, Mac or Linux PC. Nothing is installed on the Kindle.

You add each of your book files... You can even put your Amazon Kindle e-books on there for safe keeping. You can add them with the button on the upper left (Add Books) or you can drag and drop.

The metadata is what stores information like the book name and author name. You can change them within the Calibre desktop.

To move e-books to the Kindle, you need to plug your Kindle in to your computer via the USB cord, then open the Calibre application. You will then be able to access the Send To Device button at the top. You can pick and choose which e-books you want to send to the Kindle. Push the button, and it will upload the files.

I tried downloading the Chicago Tribune for today, it appears it basically downloads the mobile version of the newspaper... Here are three screenshots from the Calibre viewer:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NOW that I can totally understand.. I would like to clarify one thing though.. to get the papers you have to use the USB port everytime.. nothing can be transmitted whispernet? is that corrrect? 

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
When you add a file to Calibre, whether it is an e-book you downloaded or one of these available newspapers, it creates a file (in the case of the Tribune, it saved it as a .MOBI file) for each item. You can email this file to your Kindle to avoid using the USB connection, but I think it would end up taking up more time and effort.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wow.  Thanks for all of the information.  I was curious about this program too.  You explain things so well Pidgeon92.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry.. I still need help.. I downloaded the file.. downloaded a copy of forbes.. so far so good, now I plugged in my kindle and the send to device thing and it tells me no suitable formats were found

I went into convert but I still get the message can not upload not suitable conversions were found.. I am stumped.. all of the stuff I downloaded has the same message.. help

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Close the application, plug the Kindle in, and re-open the application. I haven't tried it recently, but at least in prior versions of Calibre the Kindle needs to be plugged in before the application is open, or Calibre could not locate the Kindle.

I am going to download the Forbes magazine and give it a try too.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it located the kindle fine.. it just says No suitable version.. do I need to convert something?

I downloaded a file I have on my hard drive, and three other papers and magazines I get the same message for all of them.. a big yellow warning sign and NO suitable version can not download..

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
davem2bits said:
. I have had problems with some conversions looking pretty funky on the Kindle. And the author metadata is not right for the K. Uses first name - last name instead of last name - first name.

Mobi creator does a better job.

Hope that helps.
No kidding. You can either have things sort correctly on Calibre or the Kindle, but not both. I brought this to the author's attention, but he seems uninterested in fixing this.

Mike

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It did detect my Kindle as well with the application running....

I loaded Forbes onto my Kindle, it opened OK....

When you click on the Forbes title in the Calibre app, at the bottom of the window there is information regarding the location of the file and the format.... What format does it display?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Below the heart icon on the upper right, there is a drop down box that says "output." I believe the default is EPUB. Change that to MOBI and try downloading Forbes again.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
okay.. brb and thank you for all the help.. (does this mean everything in the future should be in Mobi.. books etc??)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Patrizia said:
okay.. brb and thank you for all the help.. (does this mean everything in the future should be in Mobi.. books etc??)
Yes.

Honestly, I've converted several books in Calibre, but I haven't transferred them to the Kindle yet, I have no idea how they are going to look. Not as bad as some of the junk I've gotten from Amazon, I bet. If you do convert some books, when you click on the Convert Icon one of the tabs is Page Setup, and one of the choices under destination profile is Kindle... I always pick that, don't know if it helps or not, yet.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts