Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In previous years I have coordinated anthologies of scifi short stories. By popular request I have decided to run another.
You can see the titles already in this series at The Newcomer Scifi Anthologies

The theme and title of the collection is 'The Caretaker'. This could be an actual janitor, or someone trying to keep a drifting ship functioning, or something looking after a strange infant, whatever. Anything within the broader science fiction genre is welcome, though in the interests of not getting hidden we'd need to avoid outright erotica.
The focus of the project will be on exposure for the participating authors. Each story will be immediately followed by a short 'about the author' and two links - one to their mailing list signup and one to their homepage (I would encourage participants to set up a unique landing page for these so they can track conversion). As all the stories will be scifi, this should help generate targeted also-boughts.
Profits from the sales will go towards paying off the setup (cover, proofreading, formatting etc), my time, and ongoing advertising costs. The first one, paid off the setup in a little over a month and the advertising kitty fills up nicely until I splurge on some promos.

Entries should be between 2500 and 10000 words. As long as they are available to publish, they could have been already released somewhere else, though new pieces would have priority. They cannot be in Kindle Unlimited due to Amazon's rules. They can be completely one-off stories, or introductions to series as long as they have a self-contained storyline.
I can't guarantee that all entries will be included. You can submit more than one story, but I won't choose more than one per author to be included. I am aiming for twelve quality pieces that work well together and avoid covering too much of the same ground.

To make a submission, please fill in this form: 'The Caretaker' Anthology Signup

I am aiming for a late June release to take advantage of people stocking up on stories to take on summer holiday. The deadline for entries will thus be 2359 10 May 2021 (please note that I am in the UK, so all times will be GMT).

By submitting your short story, you grant non-exclusive rights in perpetuity for it to be included in the anthology, which will be released wide. There will be no fee for entry and no payment for inclusion.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For info, here are the download figures for the first four anthologies...
The Newcomer 9000+ ebook
The Officer 3500+ ebook
The Guardian 3000+ ebook
The Renegade 1500+ ebook
plus 350+ paperbacks across the series

(obviously, the older the book, the more downloads it has had)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a story that could be a good match for this, hmm. Thing is I'm currently focusing on an epic fantasy pen name, so it might be a bit too early for me to start building a mailing list for my main name.

The other thing is... I will not put any of my writing on Google Drive :eek: Would it be possible (if I decided to do this) to email it to you instead?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts