Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How on earth do I transfer books that are on my Kindle to my computer. I would like to transfer all the free books I downloaded from Feedbooks and Manybooks for safe keeping in case my Kindle crashes.  Told you it was a stupid question!!!!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
No stupid questions, just questions here. You beat me to it, Jeff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The files will be in the "documents" folder on your Kindle. They typically have a ".azw" or maybe a ".prc" extension. The ones with ".mbp" extensions are created on the Kindle and are not the actual books so you don't need to transfer them. Make sure to copy your "My Clippings.txt" file as that contains notes that you made on the Kindle (if you made any).

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I always just copy my whole documents folder.  Even if the .mbp file isn't needed, it doesn't matter if I do have it (that's the file that shows how far you've read in a book, for instance), and even though I can't read the Amazon books on my computer, it never hurts to have another backup on my computer and not just on the Amazon server. Far easier than picking through the various files individually. :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
And since book files are small, it won't take up that much hard drive. Good tip!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
dcom said:
The files will be in the "documents" folder on your Kindle. They typically have a ".azw" or maybe a ".prc" extension. The ones with ".mbp" extensions are created on the Kindle and are not the actual books so you don't need to transfer them. Make sure to copy your "My Clippings.txt" file as that contains notes that you made on the Kindle (if you made any).
You need the .mbp files if you have any highlights, annotations, or bookmarks that you want to keep. IMO, that is more important than My Clippings, which is just a text copy of those things, not an actual backup of the associations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts