Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has a novel that she paid to get published so is in print and in Kindle format.  The problem is that she makes hardly any money off of it.

I told her that I thought she would make a lot more if she put the novel on Amazon using Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP).  But I don't know if she would have to change the title to that or just use the same title?

Have any of you authors with printed books done this?

G

·
Define "publisher."

No legitimate publisher should be charging an author for a single penny. 

I'm assuming you mean she used a POD service or author DIY service.  You'd have to look at the contract to see what it says.  But if you actually name the publisher, I can probably give you a better answer.

G

·
*&([email protected]%# AH.  ARGHHHHHH....those guys are scum.  They are an old vanity press that has a worse reputation that PublishAmerica.  Google "Authorhouse scam" and you will see.

Seriously, I suggest she contact a lawyer.  They are known for giving authors a hard time for trying to break their contracts. 

·
Registered
733 Posts
Looking at the publisher of your sister's book, I did a quick search of Authorhouse and saw they are indeed a self-publishing company. I did not, however, look too close so I've no idea if they require any sort of contract from their authors or even hold onto the rights themselves (likely they do in some limited regard if she's only getting a few royalties).

Her best bet is to read her contract and do a little digging before she puts anything out on KDP that may have the e-rights in someone else's hand. It should state who owns the rights (and hopefully for how long) in whatever contract, terms of service or other documents she signed and this should be her first venture before she goes any further.

ETA: Looks like Julie knows a bit more about it than me, definitely listen to her advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts