Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I each have a Kindle, each with a separate Kindle account. From what I understand, there is no way for us to read any of the books each other buys without swapping Kindles (which is not convenient for a variety of reasons, chief among them a difference in our reading rates) or combining accounts? Is there no other way? It just seems not fair somehow.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
They need to be on the same account to share. There is no way around that, sorry.

May I ask why you don't wish to use the same account for your Kindles?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pidgeon92 said:
They need to be on the same account to share. There is no way around that, sorry.

May I ask why you don't wish to use the same account for your Kindles?
That's a good question. Part of it is not want to have the other person's books cluttering up our home pages! (This is where we REALLY need folder capability.)
That said, is it too late for us to combine accounts as this point?

What do other 2-Kindle homes do?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I would say, you should check with customer service to see if you can "merge" your two accounts so you don't lose the books that are on one or the other account.

I have 4 Kindles on my account. I am the "big kahuna," ie, it is my account so I can control everything. The others on my account don't know my id or password so they have to manage all their books from the content manager on their Kindles. I can "push" things to them from my account.

L

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Geeky Girl Karin said:
That's a good question. Part of it is not want to have the other person's books cluttering up our home pages! (This is where we REALLY need folder capability.)
That said, is it too late for us to combine accounts as this point?

What do other 2-Kindle homes do?
You don't have to have all of the books on both Kindles. They will, however, all be visible on your Amazon Manage Your Kindle page. I agree with Leslie, contact customer service (call them: 1-866-321-8851). You can, by yourself, de-register one Kindle from it's account, and register it on another, but I imagine you would need customer service intervention see if you can move ebooks already purchased to the other account. Call them first before doing anything. Please let us know how it works out, this will be good info for Leslie's FAQ.

My husband and I both have a Kindle, they are both on my account. I buy all the books, he doesn't know what he's doing. ;D

FYI, you can share books on one account, but not subscriptions.... like newspapers and magazines.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
^ Wow, 4 Kindles on one account! Are the other 3 Kindlers able to buy and download books from their Kindles? Or is the account password required to do that?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Harvey said:
^ Wow, 4 Kindles on one account! Are the other 3 Kindlers able to buy and download books from their Kindles? Or is the account password required to do that?
No password needed. They can buy from their Kindles using one-click (they all live in areas with Whispernet). And yes, it's my credit card.

That said, it's all worked very well. Two of the others are my children (one in college, one still here at home). They ask me in advance of buying anything. The third person is my friend and we have fallen into a good routine. She reads faster and more than me, so she has been taking advantage of alot of the free books that have been offered, especially the SciFi books from Tor. If I buy a book, she has access to it. If I find a sample that sounds interesting, I'll "push" it to her. That sort of gives her permission to buy the book if she likes the sample because I was the one that picked it in the first place.

She has bought a few books from other sites (not Amazon) and shared them with me (yes, they are legally shareable). So all in all, moneywise, I feel like it has been a fair deal.

L

1 - 7 of 7 Posts