Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've raced my way through Sarah Addison Allen's books recently and adore the way she writes. Can anyone recommend me some other authors/ books in the magical realism genre?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Glad you posted the link to explain, I was getting ready to suggest some fantasy novels with carefully thought-out systems of magic!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
The Hooded Claw said:
Glad you posted the link to explain, I was getting ready to suggest some fantasy novels with carefully thought-out systems of magic!
Yup, that is what I was thinking too!

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
All I know after reading (okay, mostly skimming) that Wikipedia article and some of its links is: (a) I do not appear to have read any books by the authors it classifies as in that genre/style, (b) I don't think I could even write one, as I'm still not sure I actually understand what "magic realism" is, and (c) based on the small number of authors/books so classified, I'm not sure many others do, either. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Hooded Claw said:
Totally agree, that link had a very distinct definition. A lot of books that I consider to be magical realism would not have fit into this category (Alvin Maker series, by Orson Scott Card).

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
NogDog said:
All I know after reading (okay, mostly skimming) that Wikipedia article and some of its links is: (a) I do not appear to have read any books by the authors it classifies as in that genre/style, (b) I don't think I could even write one, as I'm still not sure I actually understand what "magic realism" is, and (c) based on the small number of authors/books so classified, I'm not sure many others do, either. ;)
An excellent example, in my opinion, would be Like Water for Chocolate. Example of magical realism therefrom: a woman cries as she prepares a dish. When wedding guests consume it, they too begin crying. Another example, I think from Face of an Angel, by Denise Chavez: a dead baby floats to the ceiling, signifying acceptance into heaven. I enjoyed both books, but quite some time ago....

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
I didn't "get" the Wikipedia article either.  But I knew from it that my fantasy examples weren't appropriate!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jorge Luis Borges is one of the fathers of magical realism, and his short stories are gems that you can just turn over and over and see different things every time. I highly recommend the collections "Ficciones" or "Labyrinths" to start. Amazingly, neither one is on the Kindle in English.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all - definitely not looking for fantasy. I didn't get that wikipedia article either! I've heard Like Water for Chocolate mentioned before so will see if I can get that one. Someone recommended Alice Hoffman but not all her books seem to be on Kindle in the UK :-(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.