Kindle Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Before I went over to the wikipedia article, I was wondering if Salman Rushdie would qualify or if he'd been pigeonholed into some other category I hadn't heard of.

Either Midnight's Children or The Satanic Verses would be great examples. Grimus as well, but that's way more fantasy than anything else he's written.

His more recent Haroun and the Sea of Stories and Luka and the Fire of Life would probably be considered YA magical realism.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great thread. As a writer of magic-realism myself (I actually prefer the term MYSTIC-realism), here is a good definition that I've found:
"My most important problem was destroying the lines of demarcation that separates what seems real from what seems fantastic"
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

A narrative technique that blurs the distinction between fantasy and reality. It is characterized by an equal acceptance of the ordinary and the extraordinary. Magic realism fuses (1) lyrical and, at times, fantastic writing with (2) an examination of the character of human existence and (3) an implicit criticism of society, particularly the elite.

In other words, I take it to mean that this style of writing equally excepts the intrusion of fantasy in the commonplace and vise verse without batting an eyelash. It just is.

·
Registered
894 Posts
SimonNY said:
Carlos Castenada ... father of magical realism ... well, along with Marquez... the genre owes so much to South America

Though I think MR is rather distinct from fantasy (and I'm a huge Marquez fan), I am reminded of the following old literary joke concerning the influence of Latin American writers on MR:

"Q: What is magical realism?
A: A fantasy novel where everybody is speaking Spanish."

I also totally want to second, third, and fourth the previous recommendation for Rushdie (who, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't speak Spanish). :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.