Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there :) I'm new to the Forum by way working on self publishing my first few Books & i'm a Web developer by day, so i've recently been doing some sites for Self Published Authors, and it's an exciting world i've discovered! I didn't realise there was such a vibrant, passionate community!

Anyway, i'm a HUGE fan of pulpy & strange Science Fiction. Think Doc Savage, Flash Gordon,E.R Burroughs, RE Howard etc. Can anyone point me to or recommend some series or one offs that i would enjoy. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of SF out there, and i'm looking for something in the aforementioned vein!

Also, im a huge fan of the weirder SF stuff like Jeff Noon, Jeff VanderMeer etc, yet again, any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would put Michael Moorcock in that category. Always enjoyed his stuff, my fav was probably the Hawkmoon books, which I would definetely say were a little "weird".  But having said that I enjoy his writing a lot.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
My thoughts were Frank Herbert and L. Ron Hubbard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gljones said:
I would put Michael Moorcock in that category. Always enjoyed his stuff, my fav was probably the Hawkmoon books, which I would definetely say were a little "weird". But having said that I enjoy his writing a lot.
I love Moorcock :) Especially the Hawkmoon series. Anything in that vein would be great. I loved his Jerry Cornelius books too, but unfortunately i don't have my battered paperbacks anymore & they've yet to be released electronically :(

·
Registered
559 Posts
cinisajoy said:
My thoughts were Frank Herbert and L. Ron Hubbard.
Frank's stuff got weirder and weirder the farther you got into the Dune books. Then I would say the last of his books in the series "Chapterhouse Dune" was less weird than the others.

Never got into L. Ron Hubbard

·
Registered
559 Posts
Steveb0t said:
I love Moorcock :) Especially the Hawkmoon series. Anything in that vein would be great. I loved his Jerry Cornelius books too, but unfortunately i don't have my battered paperbacks anymore & they've yet to be released electronically :(
Try EBAY. I have been able to find long out of print paperbacks there cheaply.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Roger Zelazney "Chronicles of Amber".  One of my favorites of all time.  Some would say they were a bit weird.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steven Hardesty said:
Can't beat Keith Laumer's Retief stories for weird, pulpy and funny sci-fi. I've bought dozens of his books and every time I lent one to a friend I never got it back, the best recommendation. Laumer and I once shared a job in Burma, though there were about a dozen years between our tenures. We corresponded for a bit and Laumer proved just as weird and wild as his books.

Thanks for that! I've never read hem, i'll definitely go check them out :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gljones said:
Roger Zelazney "Chronicles of Amber". One of my favorites of all time. Some would say they were a bit weird.
Another series I need to re-read. I remember having an Ace Paperback 'Illustrated Roger Zelazny", which was comic versions of some short stories. I had picked it up as a kid with my pocket money in a bargain rack. The artwork was amazing! I didn't get round to reading the books until my mid-teens but that book definitely introduced me to the world of Amber for the first time :D I can't get into the Dune books after God Emperor for some reason, maybe I should try again ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was about to recommend Annihilation until I read further down that you're a Jeff VanderMeer fan, and I figured you'd already read that one. It was the February BotM pick over at the Sword & Laser over on Goodreads.

Are you familiar with H. P. Lovecraft? While usually marketed as horror, some of his work gets within spitting distance of sf, like his short story, "The Color Out of Space".

For pulpy sf I agree with Herc (who beat me to the punch), you might want to give E. E. Smith's Lensmen series a look.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Walter Spence said:
I was about to recommend Annihilation until I read further down that you're a Jeff VanderMeer fan, and I figured you'd already read that one. It was the February BotM pick over at the Sword & Laser over on Goodreads.

Are you familiar with H. P. Lovecraft? While usually marketed as horror, some of his work gets within spitting distance of sf, like his short story, "The Color Out of Space".

For pulpy sf I agree with Herc (who beat me to the punch), you might want to give E. E. Smith's Lensmen series a look.
A Shadow Over Innsmouth was pretty darn good too!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Content removed due to TOS Change of 2018. I do not agree to the terms.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Loved Retief and Stainless Steel Rat.  It's been a long time. Don't remember they were anywhere near as far out there as the Doc Smith or Burroughs stuff, though.

If you're looking for old paperbacks on eBay, you might look for the old Ace (?) double backs..two books, with their separate covers on each side. Lots of good stories in those.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Fafrd and Grey Mouser series for sophisticated sword and sorcery -- lots of his stuff, actually.

He wrote back when all imaginative literature was considered one (not split along strict lines
of hard sf, fantasy, horror etc), and so his stuff ran the gamut, and was never less than
interesting and entertaining.

The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything by John D. MacDonald of Travis McGee fame.

A lot of Poul Anderson's sf. Nicholas van Rijn series. He also did terrific fantasies, from humorous
time travel to dark Nordic dramas.

L. Sprague de Camp's Zei books and in collaboration with Fletcher Pratt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts