Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
since these are mp3 format they should be compatible.  you just have to put them in the music folder since only AA files should go in the audible file.  these are audio books not ebooks really.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
My library uses Overdrive, and they are DRM'd, and your device must be registered to Overdrive, and I don't think the Kindle is a supported device.

Betsy
 
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Oh, OK.  I thought since they were library books, they wouldn't be DRM.

I need to check and see what I can do with my local library.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Yes, I've used them on my Palm, and if the device isn't registered, they don't work.... haven't really tried with the Kindle, if anyone finds they work, I'll have to do that!

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
thejackylking said:
since these are mp3 format they should be compatible. you just have to put them in the music folder since only AA files should go in the audible file. these are audio books not ebooks really.
All MP3 audiobooks should be placed in the Audible directory. Otherwise, they play in random order as background music (and odd reading experience, but I suppose you can do that).

Each file lists as a separate title, but they are perfectly usable and have all the audiobook controls, just as an AA file does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Koland,

Thanks for your comment.  I had ripped and synced four audiobook disks onto the Kindle.  When I could not play them, I realized that my first hurdle was to download a .wav to .mp3 converter program to my computer and convert all the 30+ tracks to mp3.  Done.

Then, I noticed that, as you said, they were playing in random sequence.  Doh!  What's up with that?  The shuffle concept may work okay with music, but this wasn't going to make it with my book.  I never would have thought to put the files into the Audible folder until I read your comment.

That done, I unplugged the USB cord to look at the results.  Next problem:  It sorted all the tracks from four disks together.  Thus I had four 01 files followed by four 02 files, etc.  It did not recognize that I had four separate folders (one for each disk) in the Audible folder.  It just took all the files out of all four folders and sorted them by title...which in this case was the track number. 

Next step: I manually renumbered disks 2, 3, & 4 so that for example, track number 01 on disk two was now titled 07 (following the last track, 06, on the first disk).  In all, I now had renumbered all 30+ tracks so that they would sort in the proper sequence. 

After all is said and done, I know that audiobooks can be played on my K2.  However I will probably not do them this way.  I will continue to download my books in Overdrive from the library and play them on my MP3 player.  This whole process was just WAY to time and labor intensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
ReadnSwim said:
It is possible to check the mobipocket books out, but you have to use the igorsk scripts - http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Visual_Kindle_Guide - kindlepid and kindlefix
The books then work for the loan period. Not sure about the legalities.
Legalities are just fine as far as I know. You're not stripping the DRM, you're only retrieving the PID from your Kindle so you can have your checked out book's DRM coded properly for your device.

I use this script and have no problem with Overdrive .mobi books on my Kindle. Worth the bit of initial effort to have that resource available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
ReadnSwim said:
It is possible to check the mobipocket books out, but you have to use the igorsk scripts - http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Visual_Kindle_Guide - kindlepid and kindlefix
The books then work for the loan period. Not sure about the legalities.
This is my project for the day. I'm stuck in the house because we got about a foot of snow last night. It's my fault..I made the mistake of saying out loud how nice it was that we had gotten through this winter without a major snowstorm.

I hate snow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Strange that MP3 files play randomly... the user's guide says they play in the order that you added them to your Kindle. Guess I will have to test it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,848 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
This is my project for the day. I'm stuck in the house because we got about a foot of snow last night. It's my fault..I made the mistake of saying out loud how nice it was that we had gotten through this winter without a major snowstorm.

I hate snow.
Now we know who to blame. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Britt said:
Strange that MP3 files play randomly... the user's guide says they play in the order that you added them to your Kindle. Guess I will have to test it out.
On the Kindle 1, they play randomly, on the Kindle 2, they play in the order they were added to the Kindle. Just another weird difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I hate snow.
I hate cold weather and we've had too much of it in north Texas this winter. One day it's 80 the next day it's 35. Crazy!!!!!! Right now it is 72 F in my back yard, so we should have seen the last of the real cold weather this past weekend (hopefully).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
On the Kindle 1, they play randomly, on the Kindle 2, they play in the order they were added to the Kindle. Just another weird difference.
Ah, ok, thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Our library discontinued ebooks at the start of the year due to budget cuts.  They said the cost was high, not many people used them and it was cut them or lose a part time person.  They decided to keep getting new hardbacks and keep the person.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top