Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon KDP doesn't provide an option to create a hardcover edition. Is there an option to use third party service while my book is in Kindle Select?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sheridan_West said:
How can I do it?

I do expanded distribution, and all kinds of people offer to sell my picture book.

I have no affiliation, except I once lived where the dot MP domain gets it's designator. ;)

Hint: Search ISBN to get the best prices, which is often offered on ebay.

Ingram says offer 55% discount and authorize returns, but most bookstores state 40% is their minimum.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Javelin said:
Hint: Search ISBN to get the best prices, which is often offered on ebay.
There is one authorized ISBN agency per country. If you "buy" an ISBN from any other entity, you don't really own it. The entity that originally purchased it from the ISBN agency owns it. You're just "renting" it. You wouldn't officially be the publisher if you use such an ISBN. And there are lots of stories of people "buying" such ISBNs and then finding out the printer/platform they want to use won't accept it. Buyer beware.

To find the authorized ISBN agency for your country: https://www.isbn-international.org/agencies

Ingram says offer 55% discount and authorize returns, but most bookstores state 40% is their minimum.
Ingram also takes a cut of this wholesale discount. Yes, bookstores like the industry-standard 40%. But in order to provide them this amount, you have to set your wholesale discount through IngramSpark to 55%. Ingram takes 15% and then the bookstore gets the 40% they expect.

However, if you're not marketing heavily to brick & mortar bookstores, then there's really no reason for this high discount. Nearly all online booksellers will list everything in the Ingram catalogue, no matter the wholesale discount. So lower the discount (IS allows 30% or 35%, depending on the geographic market) and put more money in YOUR pocket.

·
Registered
466 Posts
First reply from entering your question into google:
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200798990
"Make your Kindle book exclusive to the Kindle Store for the KDP Select enrollment period (90-days). You can continue to distribute your paperback (or any other format you may have)."

Real question: are your readers willing to pay the extra needed for hard cover options and how much work will it for you for what result. Take a close look at if this is rather for vanity and judge for yourself if you want to spend the money / work here or work on your next book.

When choosing options it is important that you have enough control to link them back to your kindle book in the stores properly over going somewhere cheap. I am sure if you search this forum for ingram you should find tons of information.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nicole Simon said:
First reply from entering your question into google:
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200798990
"Make your Kindle book exclusive to the Kindle Store for the KDP Select enrollment period (90-days). You can continue to distribute your paperback (or any other format you may have)."

Real question: are your readers willing to pay the extra needed for hard cover options and how much work will it for you for what result. Take a close look at if this is rather for vanity and judge for yourself if you want to spend the money / work here or work on your next book.

When choosing options it is important that you have enough control to link them back to your kindle book in the stores properly over going somewhere cheap. I am sure if you search this forum for ingram you should find tons of information.
So basically, only kindle edition should be exclusively on Amazon, while I can distribute physical books through other retailers?

I do have ISBN for hardcopy edition, as a Canadian I can have them assigned for free by the Library and Archives of Canada, and I'm aiming to get my book in physical stores, probably after I get more reviews on Amazon.

I personally prefer hardcover books and would like to at least be able to get one for myself and as a gift to my friend.

Thanks everybody for answers! :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sheridan_West said:
So basically, only kindle edition should be exclusively on Amazon, while I can distribute physical books through other retailers?
That's right. These subscription programs etc only pertain to ebooks. Print products are not a part of any requirement anywhere.

Set up your HC on IngramSpark and consider doing a paperback as well.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Sheridan_West said:
...and I'm aiming to get my book in physical stores, probably after I get more reviews on Amazon.
Indie bookstores actively dislike Amazon, so if you're thinking that showing them lots of reviews on Amazon will help you, it could potentially do the opposite.

And assuming that the big stores (Chapters, Indigo) are still the same as when I used to work at Chapters, they're unlikely to order indie books to be stocked on the shelves.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Sheridan_West said:
Amazon KDP doesn't provide an option to create a hardcover edition. Is there an option to use a third party service while my book is in Kindle Select?
This is basically a post we see over and over from newer writers. There always seems to be a string overemphasis to get these books into tiny bookstores that may or may not ever sell a book, don't know your intentions but it often has to do with "Look my book is in a store "I'm a real writer now." Before I responded I checked the number of posts and yeah, we've all been there.

You are no more legitimate by having your selfpublished book on a shelf in an indie store than having on the shelf of Amazon's megastore. I've seen loads of terrible self-pub vanity books in indie stores that turn me off of the store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts