Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grace my Maid is set on Melja Estate, a housing complex in suburbia Johannesburg, South Africa. Grace is Bonnie Beautfort’s maid cum housekeeper. The day Bonnie discovers she’s pregnant; unbeknownst to her, her husband has left her for his pregnant secretary. Grace, her compatriots Rose and Olga with the help of the other maids conspire to find Bonnie a new husband before the baby is born.

Olga’s boss is the handsome and single Clive Winterton. He’s the candidate of choice - he drives a white Mercedes Benz! Grace and her cohorts will do anything and everything to bring Bonnie and Clive together.

Can I end it like this?

Bonnie has been invited to join Clive and his sister to their holiday home on the coast for Christmas. Bonnie is now four and a half months pregnant. When the maids see her climb into his car headed for the coast – the maids celebrate in style.....

This ending doesn’t confirm if Bonnie and Clive do get married. If I leave the story to end like this – is it considered a ‘cliff hanger’ or is it acceptable?  :-\

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It's hard to know if that's a satisfying ending because ...

1. We don't know if it's a sequel. Cliffhangers are best used for books that have a follow up. If this is a stand alone novel, then it's more appropriate to close the story off entirely ... whether that's a HEA, HFN, or HNA.

2. We don't know anything else about the book -- beyond the quick synopsis which makes it nearly impossible to tell you if you've written the scene straight through to the bottom.

You, however, are the writer. If that ending fits and flows with your novel, then by all mean it works. But, and I'm just thinking as someone who writes small scenes in great detail, you may want to amp up the action. "Celebrate in style" means different things ... maybe the pop a bottle of champagne, maybe they take their shoes off and dance on the furniture. The ending seems and feels abrupt, like a thought you had for how the book would end rather then the proper, last-draft ending ... I'd probably flesh it out more ... but you have to do what's right for your book.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I'd say it depends on who the story belongs to. Is it Grace's story? Or is it Bonnie's story? What you've described makes it sound like Grace's story, in which case I'd say it was cool to end it the way you describe. But if it's more Bonnie's story, I'd suggest the last scene should belong to Bonnie and be from her POV. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input - it is a comedy with a touch of romance. This is Grace's story. The ending will be the maids dancing and having a party...... I am toying with a sequel at the moment. I have briefly outlined a plot but I would like it to also be a stand alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts