Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if there is a place to put in a password to keep it private.
Also, I ordered books directely from the Kindle2 and did not have to put in my password the second time I went back in (hrs apart). I don't like it just to be that open in case someone else would get hold of it. Can you log in and out of the Kindle bookstore?
  Kdawna

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The answer to both questions is no.  There is no way to password protect your Kindle so any one can see what you have on it.  If you lose it you would have to deregister it to keep them from buying books on your account.  You can always order books on your account directly from your Kindle unless it's deregistered.  One of the advantages of the Kindle is access to buy books anywhere anytime.  Sorry I couldn't give you better news. :)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Also, if your Kindle "disappears" you can logon to your account and deregister the Kindle then no one would be able to 1-click your account.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Gables Girl said:
The answer to both questions is no. There is no way to password protect your Kindle so any one can see what you have on it. If you lose it you would have to deregister it to keep them from buying books on your account. You can always order books on your account directly from your Kindle unless it's deregistered. One of the advantages of the Kindle is access to buy books anywhere anytime. Sorry I couldn't give you better news. :)
So, if I de-register the Kindle, from the Kindle, can I re-register from the Kindle as well, or do I have to find a computer?

Sterling
92.5% Pure

·
Registered
703 Posts
You can log out of the Amazon web site even from your Kindle.  You go to Your Account and there should be a log out area.

·
Registered
535 Posts
i would agree.. but that's just too minor of a problem to neglect the greatness of Kindle. :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
carlobee said:
i would agree.. but that's just too minor of a problem to neglect the greatness of Kindle. :D
So, my security concerns are minor, are they? :eek: Chill, I know you didn't mean to minimalize. For me its a biggie, though. The work around by de-registering, re-registering will work until I get some kind of subscription or they fix what I, and others, concider a major security shortcoming.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
legalbs2 said:
You can log out of the Amazon web site even from your Kindle. You go to Your Account and there should be a log out area.
I think the PPs were talking about the Kindle store, which can only be "logged out" by deregistering the Kindle.

·
Registered
703 Posts
When you go online to the Amazon Kindle Store, you are not logged in to your account except on the Kindle.  The reason WhisperNet logs you in is so that you can purchase your books etc.  I just realized that.  Does that mean your Kindle is always logged into the Kindle Store even though you are NOT using WhisperNet?  I don't think so.  When you are using WN, then you are logged in and when you exit WN, you are no longer logged in.  If you were, when you go to the Amazon Store via computer, it would show that you are still logged in.  I always have to go to My Account to log in online.

With no internal security, I can see why you would not want to remain logged in via your Kindle.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I would be more worried about soemone stealing my credit cards and making purchases, then them stealing my K and making purchases, personally.  I should think that Amazon would be pretty good about returning any books that got bought after the K was stolen, or if they aren't, you can turn the transactions into your CC company, just as if your card was stolen.  Unlike with a stolen credit card, they can only buy books, which have a pretty small price tag, it's not like they can log in and buy a LCD flat panel TV from your Kindle.  I suppose that if your K got stolen, you'd have to be just as diligent as you would be with your credit cards if they got stolen, call Amazon (or log online) and make sure it can't purchase anything from your account.

Though I don't think a password is a bad idea, may deter people from even trying to steal the K, since they wouldn't be able to easily log in anyway.

Rachel

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think turning on WN then entering a password to enter the Kindle Store would be a good idea; however, kind of defeats the idea of purchasing a book and having it download in 60 seconds or less.  

If you do not feel safe purchasing books from your Kindle, then go online and purchase them.  WN can only be deactivated by deregistering your Kindle.  Then, when you purchase books online you would first have to register your Kindle, purchase the book, then deregister.  

I wonder if Amazon would allow you to register and deregister frequently.  How would Amazon know if you are the same person?  Maybe someone else is registering and deregistering your "stolen" Kindle.  I think there is a point when you just have to trust the security of the company you are dealing with - Amazon.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
legalbs2 said:
I wonder if Amazon would allow you to register and deregister frequently. How would Amazon know if you are the same person? Maybe someone else is registering and deregistering your "stolen" Kindle. I think there is a point when you just have to trust the security of the company you are dealing with - Amazon.
Like I said earlier, you need your email address and password to register the Kindle. If you keep that with your Kindle, I doubt having a password for the Kindle itself would help you much.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yes, but I doubt Amazon would allow you to constantly register and deregister your Kindle.  It is kind of like abusing the system.  Just my opinion.  I think whatever makes you happy is what you should do as long as it does not adversely affect me.  

·
Registered
860 Posts
marianner said:
Why? What "system" is this "abusing"?
I agree. Especially when the "system" has nothing built in to protect yourself or your children if they are ones using the Kindle.

Amazon really needs to address this. I think for every person that posts about this on KB, there are probably hundreds to thousands of people out there with similar concerns.

·
Registered
703 Posts
marianner said:
Why? What "system" is this "abusing"?
May abusing the system is not the comment I was trying to make. I just think registering and deregistering has to be tedious somewhere down the line. If you are that afraid of being on the internet, you should not be on it.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
legalbs2 said:
Yes, but I doubt Amazon would allow you to constantly register and deregister your Kindle.
Yes, Amazon does let you register and deregister over and over again. I do it quite often. I share my account with my 14 yr old daughter and my mother. There are some books that I read that I wouldn't feel comfortable letting my daughter read at this age (and probably don't want my mom to know I'm reading stuff like that!) I deregister my Kindle from my account, re-register onto my husbands account, buy & download those books, then deregister and reregister to my account. The books purchased from my husband's account remain on the Kindle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts