Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I place my print books with D2D (they are just starting to do print now) if I also have those same print books with KDP? I've sent emails to KDP but they haven't answered me, so perhaps someone here might know the answer?
AllBooksBanner.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you have your own ISBN? If yes, then print where you like. If the ISBN is from Amazon, no you cannot.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sounds a bit too good to be true. Looking into this, they state they distribute through Amazon and Ingram. If they use Ingram, why would Ingram want to do business with them? Ingram charges fees. You're bypassing fees if they distribute wide through Ingram. So ... I don't get it. Maybe D2D distribution is less wide??? Dunno. Perhaps others can chime in.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Draft2Digital does print books. You use their system to set the print book up, then it is print on demand. If you'd like to contact D2D for more information here is their support page.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got an answer, not from Amazon (they never answered) but from D2D when I asked them the same thing. Here's what D2D said:
"Hello,
Typically, we recommend against doing this, as our print-on-demand distribution is an all-in-one package that handles distribution to both Amazon, and expanded distribution so that the book can reach other online storefronts like Barnes & Noble, Kobo, libraries, and brick & mortar bookstores. If your book is already available at Amazon, this can lead to distribution issues for both the listing created directly through Amazon and the listing created through D2DPrint. If you are wanting to use D2DPrint for books that have been previously published through Amazon, new ISBNs would need to be used, as Amazon would not accept any print ISBNs that have been previously used directly with their service.
Please let me know if you have any questions or additional concerns.
Best Regards,
Austin
Draft2Digital "

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
catslover...I am not sure. But I think the real roadblock is that D2D print will distribute to Amazon...and since Amazon has all my other paperbacks, they won't allow that.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Is D2D distributing directly to Amazon separate from Ingram, or is D2D distributing through Amazon using Ingram? When I glossed over D2D, it said they were using Ingram and also distributing to Amazon. But differentiating how is important because, if everything is through Ingram, you could run into occasional problems with Ingram distribution, like books becoming unavailable in some markets on Amazon.

From what I can tell, D2D is using other companies to create the POD. They are not doing this direct. So keep this in mind if you use them ... and let us know if it works out, because if it works, its a much cheaper option then going through Ingram direct (though many of Ingram's charges have coupon codes).

I wouldn't use a different ISBN for the same paperback.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alhawk
"I wouldn't use a different ISBN for the same paperback. "
And that's the final word...if I can't or shouldn't use a different ISBN for the same paperback...that answers my question. One paperback=one ISBN. So, no, I can't place my paperbacks with both Amazon KDP print and D2D. At least now I know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts