Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our AC went out, I think because it needed Freon. No one really knows. ??? Anyhow, I survived the night battling migraines in uncomfortably hot weather. (We live in Texas) With no AC, it's frying. We managed to bring down an old air conditioner unit from upstairs, which helped out a little, but it was still pretty bad.

The next day we call all the air conditioner places in the area, but they are all booked up 'til Tuesday. Everyone but a little place called Phelps.  Well, I know why they weren't booked up now.

He came, looked, asked me to put my dogs up (Which i did, in the backroom of the house.) Then awhile later, I realize his vehicle is long gone. I call my husband, and lo and behold he left. Said he couldn't handle the dogs. I went to my backroom and they were still there.

Door still locked to the back.

It was starting to rain outside, and he was really grumpy. I have a feeling he just wanted an excuse to leave.

Meanwhile, I am stuck in the heat until Tuesday.  :p

Anybody else have an air conditioner that went out? I am so hot, if it weren't for our little air conditioner unit, I think I'd fry!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Was it the dogs themselves, or was he allergic? Either way, I think I'd try another company.

Sorry about the heat - I get humidity migraines, myself, and they suck. I hope you can manage until you can get your AC fixed.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
We got a brand new air conditioner three summers ago... first they installed one too small for the house, then they installed one that has never worked.  If it's 97 outside then it's 90 in the house.  It just can't keep up with the heat at all.  We called them and called them to fix it, they responded for a bit but started just flat out ignoring us or telling us they'd come then never showing up.  It's 94 right now and 85 in the house despite the thermostat being set to 70.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
So sorry about your AC! That stinks.

Our AC went out the other night. We noticed it about 11 PM. We called our Service Guard right then and they scheduled to come the next morning. (Wow, that's fast!) And when he came he looked at it and it just had gotten too clogged with leaves and cotton from the trees. It tripped the internal circuit breaker. He cleaned it out and got it up and running in no time. The best broken AC we've ever had. :D

Hope yours is as easy to fix!

Vicki

·
Registered
745 Posts
Oh it is such hot weather all across the board I hate to hear anyone be without air conditioning. I know how I felt when I didn't have air conditioning I had three front windows and I put fans in each one. My friends from my job laughed oh it was not funny. When it is that hot you take drastic measures. Although they didn't actually help. :) Praying you get your air back very soon.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Ugh, that sucks. I can barely survive when my AC goes out, which it seems to do a couple times every summer. Hope you're able to get yours fixed soon.

645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's tough, I am practically living in our dining room with the little window air conditioner right now. My husband did manage to contact someone finally. Our usual go-to guys were booked up 'til Tuesday, but they managed to squeeze us in. (Bless them!) Unfortunately, we found out it's the compressor. 1600 dollars, give or take. :-\

We scrounged the money up, and they are ordering it in. It'll be somewhere between Tuesday and Thursday though.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Ugh.  So annoying!

My parents just had a similar experience with a guy "fixing" their roof.  He would sit up there for a half hour or so, come down and say he needed "materials" and then just leave for the day.  This went on for 6 weeks.  My parents finally canned him.  They paid him for the work he had done up until then but he got miffed feeling he was entitled to the full amount.  Uhh.... no.

·
Registered
700 Posts
leearco said:
That guy sounds a bit weird. It is probably better he is not in your house.
I agree.

We keep a yearly service contract on our HVAC system. For the fee they come out and check the furnace in the fall and the AC in late winter/early spring. And we get a discount on any parts needed. Most importantly for us, if we have a problem we get priority scheduling over people who don't have a service contract.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Wow, that is pretty weird. Did he tell your husband he was leaving, or did he just take off?

Our AC went out the other day (and we've already lost power twice this summer - once for 2.5 days, and once for 10 hours), but we're up in Chicago, at least. It's hot and muggy here, but nothing like Texas. I hope you can get it working soon!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Last year during that very loooong heat wave here in TN. we lost our AC. We went through 3 different companies that "fixed" it only to have it run a few days and go down again. Finally a 4th came out and took a look and said everything was fried and that it was like a domino effect and we needed a new unit. He apologized and said he does not do new units. He at least did not charge us for a visit as he saw that it was 95 in the house.
I called our utility company and they told us about a TVA package they had going that if we do it , the loan payments can be added directly to our utility bill for up to 10 years. We jumped at that and got one of those new 14.5 SEER Heat Pumps. So far we have been happy with it. Our electric bill has also taken a drop. Not enough to set off the loan payment, but enough to make us happy.

But in all that time (almost 1 1/2 months) we were without air. A few times I thought we had almost lost our pug Monty. Pugs do not do well in heat. Had to keep putting him the tub with a fan blowing in the bathroom to keep him cool.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
rubbing alcohol has a cooling effect.  Try dampening your skin with a half and half solution of water and alcohol.  That and some fans might help until the a/c is working again.  I feel your pain.  I hate hot weather.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Robert, I have a Pekingese and they don't do well in the heat either.  My kids laugh at me when I tell them he can't stay outside very long because he'll get too hot.  They always say, but Mom, he's a DOG!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yup, it is the curse of the snub nose. I swear I was starting to get hostile over the phone to those that "repaired" the AC to have it run a few days and breakdown again. Watching Monty pant heavily and have trouble breathing was heart breaking. ALL of them kept the money. Shisters!

PG4003 (Patricia) said:
Robert, I have a Pekingese and they don't do well in the heat either. My kids laugh at me when I tell them he can't stay outside very long because he'll get too hot. They always say, but Mom, he's a DOG!

·
Registered
598 Posts
rayhensley said:
Reminds me of what Homer asked Marge one hot day.

"Marge, can you turn the oven to cold?"
Lol, after the refrigerator has already broken down because he's opened up the door and built a fort around it. "I got the idea when I noticed the refrigerator was cold."

·
Registered
556 Posts
I cannot stand the heat whatsoever. I can't wait for the fall when it cools down a bit. I actually even welcome winter now because of this heat. haha!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like a lazy repair guy. Grrrr...
We had our upstairs AC go out during the hottest week of the year, so far. 110 degrees and it was terrible upstairs where our bedroom is. At 11:30pm we drove 30 miles to Walmart and bought a blow up mattress and slept on the floor in our living room for a few nights until we could get AC fixed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts