Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone -

I'm reading _Three Cups of Tea_ on my Kindle right now.  It's a memoir, and it seems to me that it should have pictures in it.  So I asked a friend who read a hard copy of the book, and she said that it does have pictures.

I have seen threads here saying that people have read books on the Kindle that included pictures.  I was just wondering if there was any way of knowing the difference in the content ahead of time? In this case, I can see the pictures when I go to book club next week, and that's fine.  But in other cases I would probably want to make a note to check out a hard copy of a book the next time I'm in a bookstore or a library.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Not sure there's any way to know.  In some instances, the paper versions on Amazon have an image which you can click to see some of the pages inside.  The reviews may make some mention of pictures.

You know, it seems to me, if content is removed from the book, it constitutes an abridged edition and should be advertised as such....of course, in audio books, there are never any pictures!

For me, for memoirs, I would probably Google the individual by name and get as many or more pictures in many cases as would be in the book.

Anyone else with any thoughts?

Betsy

·
Registered
221 Posts
In some of the Kindle autobiographies I've read in the past few months, the pictures were all located at the end of the book. (Usually in DTBs, the pictures are located in the middle in a special color insert.)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Betsy the Quilter AKA Agent 72 said:
Not sure there's any way to know. In some instances, the paper versions on Amazon have an image which you can click to see some of the pages inside. The reviews may make some mention of pictures.

You know, it seems to me, if content is removed from the book, it constitutes an abridged edition and should be advertised as such....of course, in audio books, there are never any pictures!

For me, for memoirs, I would probably Google the individual by name and get as many or more pictures in many cases as would be in the book.

Anyone else with any thoughts?

Betsy
Unless you find the hard copy on Amazon and it says "illustrated" or something like it, I don't know how you would know.

As far as being abridged, I don't think that would count unless words are removed. There are various editions of Dickens' A Christmas Carol, some with the illustrations, some without, but they are never considered abridged simply for missing pictures, I don't think.

·
Registered
737 Posts
It would be pretty rotten of the publisher to not include the illustrations thou.  deMoMO, let us know if the illustrations are not there.  Or someone that has read the kbook version.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just finished a non-fiction book, and all the photos were at the very end.  Maybe they do this with all books with photos?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
RangerXenos said:
I just finished a non-fiction book, and all the photos were at the very end. Maybe they do this with all books with photos?
I can't speak for books with normal photos (like nonfiction), but some fiction books with illustrations have the illustrations throughout, like a regular book. One example is The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
The illustrations are there in the Narnia books I've looked at.  And there were pictures in some of the eBooks I read on my Palm T/X.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Betsy the Quilter AKA Agent 72 said:
The illustrations are there in the Narnia books I've looked at. And there were pictures in some of the eBooks I read on my Palm T/X.

Betsy
I don't think I made myself very clear (it's Friday and I'm tired), LOL. I was saying that the Narnia books on the Kindle have the illustrations throughout, like a regular book, not at the end, like some e-books. Therefore, I don't think all illustrations are necessarily at the end of the book in Kindle format.

I'm still not sure if I'm making any sense. LOL Sorry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Snowball, the biography of Warren Buffet was one of the first books I read on the Kindle.  It had pictures throughout instead of at the end.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I had the same experience mentioned above.. read Roasting in Hell's Kitchen by Chef Gordon Ramsay and at the end of the test, besides his index, there were pictures!  I'm sure they were spread out in the dead tree version of the book.

OTOH.. I read Nikki Sixx's The Heroin Diaries in DT format and it was illustrated on every page, een the test was "illustration".  I got a sample of the Kindle version out of curiosity and there were only chapter illustrations.. it was quite anemic in comparison to the DT version.

I read Three Cups of Tea in DT and there were pictures, for sure.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've read a couple of books with the pictures interspersed in the correct places. I think that some publishers cut corners with Kindle books some of the time, but I haven't determined any pattern.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
KMA said:
I've read a couple of books with the pictures interspersed in the correct places. I think that some publishers cut corners with Kindle books some of the time, but I haven't determined any pattern.
Sad but true. The big publishing houses who own blockbuster titles are the worst. They scan in the printed version, run it through an optical character reader and send it off to make a couple of extra dollars as an eBook. I predict that someday soon they'll wake up and realize that there's real money to be made in the eBook business at which point we'll see them produce decent work. Oddly enough, the best formatted books for Kindle are currently being produced by small imprints and indie authors. The industry is truly upside-down. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finished the book yesterday, and sure enough, no pictures.  Although there were maps at the beginning.  It certainly wouldn't stop me from buying a book like this on Kindle, but it was a little disappointing.

On the other hand, it was an interesting book.  I can't wait to discuss it at my book club this week!

Thanks to all for your feedback and input!

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Slightly off topic but close:

I just read Guests of the Ayatollah where several pictures were improperly inserted in the text. One image was too big to be displayed and forced a page change so all you see is a flash, image flash and the next page with the caption. In other cases the captions were on the next page, regardless of the font size. That, to me, seems like a software error in the Kindle. Anyone else see this kind of behavior?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts