Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
CAN'T SEE A CAT OR BOOKS ANYWHERE ON THE TRADEMARK.

SALVADOR DALI (TRADEMARK)
Image for trademark with serial number 78654409
Serial Number78654409
Registration Number3182930
Word MarkSALVADOR DALI
Status800 - Registered And Renewed
Status Date2016-03-15
Filing Date2005-06-20
Registration Number3182930
Registration Date2006-12-12
Mark Drawing4000 - Standard character mark Typeset
Published for Opposition Date2006-09-26
Attorney NamePaul Fields
Law Office Assigned Location CodeM10
Employee NameCROWLEY, PAUL C
Statements
Goods and ServicesPerfumes; [ toilet waters; colognes; ] body cream; toilet soaps; personal deodorants; bath oils; foaming bath lotions; after shave lotion; [ and talcum powder ]
Name/Portrait Description and/or Consent StatementThe name(s), portrait(s), and/or signature(s) shown in the mark does not identify a particular living individual.
Classification Information
International Class003 - Bleaching preparations and other substances for laundry use; cleaning, polishing, scouring and abrasive preparations; soaps; perfumery, essential oils, cosmetics, hair lotions; dentifrices. - Bleaching preparations and other substances for laundry use; cleaning, polishing, scouring and abrasive preparations; soaps; perfumery, essential oils, cosmetics, hair lotions; dentifrices.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I assume your cat is named for the famous, deceased painter and has nothing to do with a fragrance also named after the painter? The products and concepts are very different, so I doubt that trademark would have relevance. However, safety, safety, safety. Find another cool name for the cat, or even spell it differently.

According to Wikipedia, (the amateurs go to) Dali's real name was "Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dali i Domenech". Surely something to adapt from that?

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
I confess I don't understand the question here. The names of real people have been used in books for the last 100 years. The fact that in this case Salvador Dali would be the name of a cat makes it even less risky or controversial. (Unless the little furball ends up being a serial killer.)

Just last night I was watching The Alienist on TNT. The show, based on a book, has had Teddy Roosevelt, J.P. Morgan, and William Randolph Hearst as characters. So, naming a pet after a real-life person shouldn't even move the needle of concern. Unless I'm missing something...?

·
Registered
297 Posts
jdcore said:
You can call the fictional cat Salvador Dali.

You can call it Warhol. You can call it Leonardo, Raphael, Michaelangelo or Donatello. Hell, you can even call it Donald Trump. My real-life cat's name is Bela Lugosi. We call him Bels.
My cat's name is Mandarine. I call her "Mandy" most times. My earlier point was - the cat's name is easily personalised. "Sal" or "Dals" or any other combination, which refers to the original, but makes it unique to the story.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.