Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the Kindle and loving it. Question: If I obtain books from other sources, other than downloading from Amazon, can I archive them as if I had bought them from Amazon?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Yep, the Amazon archive is only for books downloaded through the Kindle store.

As noted, you can back them up on the computer by hooking the Kindle up via USB.  You can simply drag and drop the non-Kindle books somewhere, or you can use a program like Calibre to back them up and organize your e-book library.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Non-amazon books cannot be added to your archives but you can download calibre and organize your books on it.  It is pretty much as easy as Amazon's archive system.  With the program you can either have the books emailed to your device or hook it up to your computer with the USB cord and press the "send to device button."

·
Registered
379 Posts
When you email it to the pay email, don't they keep a copy on their server or did I hear wrong?

What I did was set up a dropbox. I put all my non-Amazon books on it and download them via wifi (don't use the 3G for stuff like that)

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Sporadic said:
When you email it to the pay email, don't they keep a copy on their server or did I hear wrong?
Highly unlikely, it's probably purged the moment the successful transmission is acknowledged. In any event, there's no way for you to get to it.

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. Very helpful. The feature I like about using the Amazon archive is that I can access a book I'm reading either through the Kindle or through the Kindle app on my Android smartphone - and they also sync so either device knows what page I'm currently on. But, since I read most books from non-Amazon sources, is there a way to use Calibre or any other app to accomplish the same thing -- so that I can read the book either on my Kindle or on a smartphone app and  have them sync so I'm always on the same page, whichever device I'm reading from?

Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
You can get non-Amazon purchased books to sync pages using Calibre and Mob2Mobi. I think all you have to do is add the ISBN number in Calibre and you will be able to sync the pages. This does nothing for notes and the archive.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
ProfCrash said:
I think all you have to do is add the ISBN number in Calibre and you will be able to sync the pages.
Calibre adds a fake ASIN number in the metadata to rick the Amazon software into thinking it's a book purchased from their store, and thus keeping track of furthest page read. Calibre will add this automatically when a .mobi file is generated. If you already have a DRM-free mobi file in Calibre, then you have to perform a mobi to mobi conversion to get this to work. Calibre also adds its own page numbers at the same time.

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike,

Can you review the specific procedure to get this to work. What I did was as follows, but I don't think it's working.

1. I added a .mobi book to Calibre
2. Did a mobi to mobi conversion in Calibre
3. Copied the new mobi file to the Kindle's documents folder
4. The book shows up on my Kindle screen
5. I delete the book from Kindle and then look in the Archive folder on the Kindle
6. The book is not there

Thanks for help on this.

Jason

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
The book will not be transferred to the Kindle Archive at Amazon. There will be an entry on the Amazon server that contains furthest page read, but you won't see it in the Archives. You have to manually put the book on device on which you wish to read it, and perform a sync.

Mike

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
jmiked said:
The book will not be transferred to the Kindle Archive at Amazon. There will be an entry on the Amazon server that contains furthest page read, but you won't see it in the Archives. You have to manually put the book on device on which you wish to read it, and perform a sync.
Hmm. I didn't know could sideload books into the Kindle apps. I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I'm still trying to work this out. I put the mobi onto the Kindle. Then I did a sync, both from the Kindle and from my Android's Kindle app. But the new mobi book is not showing up on my Android app.

First, I loaded the mobi into Calibre and then I did a mobi to mobi conversion. But maybe I'm not putting the right version onto the Kindle? Where would be the new mobi show up on my hard drive?

Thanks for the help on this!

Jason

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
mooshie78 said:
Hmm. I didn't know could sideload books into the Kindle apps. I'll have to look into that.
The only way I know of to do that with iThings is to jailbreak the device. It easy to sideload to the Kindle app on the PC or Mac. Or it used to be.

I was mainly interested in syncing between Kindles.

Mike

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
jmiked said:
The only way I know of to do that with iThings is to jailbreak the device. It easy to sideload to the Kindle app on the PC or Mac. Or it used to be.

I was mainly interested in syncing between Kindles.

Mike
Ah. Useless for me then. I only have one Kindle and I don't want to Jailbreak my iPad2 which I read on sometimes as I carry it around more than I do my Kindle.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Don't take my word on the necessity of jailbreaking as definitive. I haven’t had an occasion to read anything on my iPod Touch and sync with Kindle. It may be quite possible to do now.

Mike

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You can sideload books onto the iPad via the file sharing part of the Kindle app.  Just connect the iPad, click on Apps, click on the Kindle app, then copy the books you want to side-load into the box for files for the Kindle app.  I also do this on my iPod Touch.

Edited to add:  I don't think this ability was in the app originally, but it has been for the last few months, at least.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts