Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I posted my original question in the wrong place so I will ask it here.  I have a bunch of books in the .pdb format which I can read on my computer with Mobipocket reader.  I'm sure these won't transfer over to my Kindle when I get it and I have alot of them that I've not yet read.  I downloaded the free mobipocket creater to see if there was a way to convert these books but to be honest, I'm not sure how to do it if it can be done at all.

Does anybody know if .pdb files can be read on Kindle?  ???

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I believe pdb can be read by the Kindle, there was something about it elsewhere on the Kboards.  I'll doublecheck.

Betsy

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Sorry, apparently not, though there is a conversion tool, again posted somewhere in Kboards.

Anyone else with more expertise on this?

Betsy

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe all you have to do is rename the file from .pdb to .prc and copy it to the Kindle. 
If I remember correctly there isn't any conversion needed, just a renaming of the file extension.

This of course will only work if they are not DRMd (protected). 
If this doesn't work, import them into mobireader then copy them over, but I'm pretty sure you can just rename them.

Rob

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I tried renaming to .prc and for the document I tested, at least, it said the document was unsupported.  Will try the mobireader method later.

Betsy

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
the problem is I think that .pdb includes many different types of files as a holdover from the old Palm platform where many different programs saved their files as .pdb but only the original program coud read the file. I use iSilo on my Windows mobile PDA and its files are all .pdb, but cannot be read by other programs (not DRM'd just format differences)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stanza can convert a number of ebook formats to Kindle...

http://www.lexcycle.com/stanza

If you have an iPhone, or iPod Touch, they have an amazing e-book client for that as well. The desktop client is pretty basic, but is great for converting files.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I don't think you are going to find to many command line geeks here. The guys at the mobileread forums are far more technical, you might wish to search their site.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts