Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, everyone.

I am a new author, finishing a novella, which will probably be about 30,000 words. The genre is what might be called science fiction/time travel/political thriller. In brief, a soldier is sent from a post-apocalyptic future, a century from now, on a mission to the present, to kill the man responsible for causing the apocalypse, thus preventing it and altering the timeline.

I am willing to pay for an original design (rather than a pre-made or stock image). Can someone recommend a good cover artist for the genre?

Thanks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
GSB, check out covers that are successful on Amazon in your genre. Look at the ones that catch your eye, then research who created the cover. But I wouldn't just grab a cover artist that a particular author likes and uses. Why? Here's what's weird about cover artists. An incredible artist might not fit your genre or writing. A great cover might not sell your book.

Do you want an illustration, stock photo, or just typography?? What's your budget? Maybe you want to create the cover yourself? It all depends on your project.

I found a recent artist from a BookBub promo. No joke. I loved his art and contacted him.

Research is the best way. Like everything else in Indie publishing, it all takes research and work.

All that being said, some authors list artists that work well for them on their website. Check out the cover artist lists by Derek Murphy and, our own Kboarder, C Gold. I have.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
--GSB, check out covers that are successful on Amazon in your genre. Look at the ones that catch your eye, then research who created the cover.

Where is that information available?

--But I wouldn't just grab a cover artist that a particular author likes and uses. Why? Here's what's weird about cover artists. An incredible artist might not fit your genre or writing. A great cover might not sell your book.

Understood.

--Do you want an illustration, stock photo, or just typography??

I want everything done from scratch, with a cover done specifically for me - not some stock photo with name and title slapped on it. So if I understand your question correctly, I want an illustration. I myself have no particular skills in creating covers, and have no intention of fiddling with photoshop or what have you.

--What's your budget?

Flexible. I would rather pay for high quality work than save a few bucks and end up with a mediocre product. The novella will be priced at 99 cents - writing is not how I make my living. This one is more a labor of love. :) While I certainly hope it sells millions of copies and gets me invited to talk shows and meetings with presidents and prime ministers, I can live with whatever happens :)

I am not that knowledgeable about cover prices, to be honest, but the numbers I've seen in passing, around a few hundred dollars for original artwork, are not a problem. Am I mistaken about what these things cost? If an original illustration costs thousands of dollars, I might rethink things.

--Maybe you want to create the cover yourself? It all depends on your project.

Definitely not.

--I found a recent artist from a BookBub promo. No joke. I loved his art and contacted him.

Is there a website that aggregates this info, or some place where cover artists advertise?

--All that being said, some authors list artists that work well for them on their website. Check out the cover artist lists by Derek Murphy and, our own Kboarder, C Gold. I have.

Links, pls? :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
--GSB, check out covers that are successful on Amazon in your genre. Look at the ones that catch your eye, then research who created the cover.

Where is that information available?
Find a cover you like, go the corresponding Amazon product page and click on the "Look Inside". Very often the artist's name will be credited in the front matter. You can then search for that name (or click on the link if one is provided to their website).

I am not that knowledgeable about cover prices, to be honest, but the numbers I've seen in passing, around a few hundred dollars for original artwork, are not a problem. Am I mistaken about what these things cost? If an original illustration costs thousands of dollars, I might rethink things.
You can find artists at a wide range of prices--including thousands of dollars, sure, though those are typically high profile artists (like, say, Michael Whelan).

$100-300 are closer to the average, though.

And prices can vary a lot depending on artist's popularity, the type of art needed, whether you also want a print version, the amount of details, etc etc.

Try using the technique mentioned above to look up several different artists and compare their prices.

·
Registered
583 Posts
To answer your questions about art style, GSB, when deciding on stock photo vs illustration, you'd be amazed at the wizardry cover artists can do with stock photos. Many are better than hand drawn illustrations. Stock photos is, currently, probably the most popular method of cover art.

All of the books in my signature are stock photo manipulations and, in many genres, this "Cinema-like" look is what's preferred. My newest book, however, was painted, but I went with that because it's more of a fantasy. My other books are more urban/paranormal/sci fi romances.

As far as links, PM me if interested and I can send you some I've found on the web through my research.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, everyone.

I am a new author, finishing a novella, which will probably be about 30,000 words. The genre is what might be called science fiction/time travel/political thriller. In brief, a soldier is sent from a post-apocalyptic future, a century from now, on a mission to the present, to kill the man responsible for causing the apocalypse, thus preventing it and altering the timeline.

I am willing to pay for an original design (rather than a pre-made or stock image). Can someone recommend a good cover artist for the genre?

Thanks.
I can recommend Ron Miller. He is an excellent designer of book covers Black Cat Studios

1 - 6 of 6 Posts