Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference when viewing Amazon between a paperback and mass market paperback?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mass market paperbacks are generally the specifically smaller and cheaper paperbacks - like the ones that comfortably fit in the spinning paperback racks that airport shops and drugstores used have (and some still do.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sometimes I see book listed with (P.S.) after the title.  What does that mean?  Usually the books are paperback but what would the 'S' mean?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.  I must say that I have found the covers on mass market pb not as good as the original.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I like the trade paperbacks better.  Bookshelves are set up to accommodate the height of hardbacks.  The mass market paperbacks are so short they leave about six inches between the top of the book and he next shelf up.  The trades are taller and thinner, so they take up more of that wasted space.  Since they are thinner than the mm pb, I can fit more on a shelf.  I also noticed that consignment stores won't take mm; they only take trades. 

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I like the trade paperbacks better. Bookshelves are set up to accommodate the height of hardbacks. The mass market paperbacks are so short they leave about six inches between the top of the book and he next shelf up. The trades are taller and thinner, so they take up more of that wasted space. Since they are thinner than the mm pb, I can fit more on a shelf. I also noticed that consignment stores won't take mm; they only take trades.
They're also easier on the eyes sometimes ;-p

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I like the trade paperbacks better. Bookshelves are set up to accommodate the height of hardbacks. The mass market paperbacks are so short they leave about six inches between the top of the book and he next shelf up. The trades are taller and thinner, so they take up more of that wasted space. Since they are thinner than the mm pb, I can fit more on a shelf. I also noticed that consignment stores won't take mm; they only take trades.
I can fit mm paperbacks two rows high and two rows deep, though! ::)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
marianner said:
I can fit mm paperbacks two rows high and two rows deep, though! ::)
True, but then you don't know what you've got behind the first row. I used to do that, but I finally convinced myself to start weeding out. I try very hard not to think about the thousands of books I've given away over the past several years.

·
Registered
508 Posts
chynared21 said:
They're also easier on the eyes sometimes ;-p
The exception being The Historian

I very nearly went blind reading that book! Loved it, but it took a while to get through because my eyes were really having a problem with the small print. (It was one of the first DTB's I downloaded to Bemis. I'd like to read it again when I can actually know I'm seeing all of the text.)

(Hmmm, the link worked, but didn't bring over a picture. Don't know why.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.